Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 month old - rice cereal, how much milk in bottle etc.

Default 4 month old - rice cereal, how much milk in bottle etc.

I took my son for his 4 month check up today and he has gained 20 ounces (went from 10.15, to 12.3) in the past month. My kids tend to be lean and tall, so while on the lower end of the scale I was happy with his weight gain.

I mentioned to the doctor that in the past week he has gone from waking up at 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. to waking up every 3 hours. I was hoping she would give me some information on the 4 month sleep regression I have read about. She however, suggested that I start him on rice cereal in the evening. I was wanting to avoid solid till 6 months, and am leaning towards going against her advice. Is that a bad idea?

My other question is with regards to how much breast milk a 4 month old should take via the bottle. I go back to work on December 2, and my baby will be with the nanny from 8a.m. to 6 p.m. I was planning to feed him before I left for work and as soon as I get home. I had planned on the nanny having to give 3 - 4 bottles totaling 12 ounces. The doctor suggested 5 to 6 ounces every 4 hours. I honestly don't think I can pump that much of milk. Is 12 ounces that I was thinking of sufficient?

thanks.

Default Re: 4 month old - rice cereal, how much milk in bottle etc.

Rice cereal won't help baby sleep more.

1-1.5 oz milk per hr of separation is the guideline. I plan to have my husband give our 4 mo olds 2.5-3 oz every 2 hrs when I'm at work because that's how often they nurse. 5-6 oz may be what a formula fed baby can drink in one bottle but that is very very high for breastfed.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Early solids introduction doesn't increase weight gain and doesn't make the baby sleep better. All it does is substitute a food that lacks the immune-protective qualities of human milk for breastmilk in the baby's diet. This is why the AAP's recommendation is to start introducing solids at 6 months, not 4. Sounds like you pediatrician probably hasn't been keeping up with the times in this area.

12 oz may be a little low for a 10 hour separation. But go with that and see what your baby likes- if he's satisfied with 12 oz, then there's nothing wrong with that. Whatever quantity of milk you end up using, the bottles should be around 2-4 oz and should be fed on demand rather than on a schedule.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

As far as I know, generally speaking, 20 ounces weight gain in 30 days is entirely normal weight gain after age 3 months. Your childs change in wake pattern is certainly entirely normal. Rice cerial (or formula or even a bottle of breastmilk) before bedtime has not been shown to assist in helping a baby sleep longer, especially when the wake patterns are normal. And solids prior to 6 months is not the typical recomendation any longer. I suggest, if this reccomendation was due to doctor's concern about gain, talk to your pediatricain again to get clarity about the concerns or get a second medical opinion. If it was only parenting adivce based on your concern about the sleep changes, you can do what you wish with that suggestion.

I just posted a long post on figuring out how much is enough to leave for separations which you can look at if you like. It's not that I disagree with mommal, I agree with her. But I think there are many other factors to consider when figuring out how much is 'enough." http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...tle-preference

Also, you will probably pump more than you think once you are back at work and pumping during separations.