Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 Day Old Baby is taking an hour to latch :(

Default 9 Day Old Baby is taking an hour to latch :(

Hi,

I just had a baby 9 days ago and things were going really really well. He was latching awesome and was emptying my breasts. The past 3 days have been awful. It seems as if he has forgotten how to latch He gets frustrated and upset, cries, and the whole routine begins again.

This is my 2nd child. With my first, I nursed her for 18 months and I did supplement with formula. With this new baby I am strictly breastfeeding.

When we were at the hospital he lost 14% of his body weight so they were worried about his weight and now I am getting worried that he is not eating enough since it takes him over an hour to latch.

I don't know what to do. I feel so bad and I don't know how to fix it.

Please help!

Thanks,

McKenna

Default Re: 9 Day Old Baby is taking an hour to latch :(

Sooofrustrating! I'm sure an experienced mom will hop in here soon and make some suggestions. Until then... What nursing position are you using? I ask because when my baby won't latch all I have to do is pop her bare belly on my bare chest and she's squirming her way to my nipple and latching herself in no time! Maybe that's something to try?

Default Re: 9 Day Old Baby is taking an hour to latch :(

Here is the good news-if your baby was latching and nursing well early on, that shows that baby CAN do so. So this is surely 'fixable.' If this does not reslove quickly, Do you have local resources for breastfeeding assistance? Can you see an IBCLC?

So this started being a problem about day 6, correct? What changed? Did your breasts start feeling very full? Did baby start sleeping longer and nursing less frequently? Anything that you noticed changing, even something that seems irrelevant may hold a clue.

Before the issue started, approximately how many times in a 24 hour day would baby nurse? Now how often will baby nurse?

When we were at the hospital he lost 14% of his body weight so they were worried about his weight and now I am getting worried that he is not eating enough since it takes him over an hour to latch.
    You do want to be sure baby is getting enough but even if latch is taking a long time that does not mean baby is not getting enough. Have there been more weight checks or just two? birth weights are often inflated for a number of reasons, and the first two weight checks are almost always on different scales, so inaccuracies are common as far as weight loss measurements go in the early days.

How often is baby pooping (how many times a day) and what is the color and volume?

I agree with Jessicanewmom, often latch issues are helped so much by changing or simply tweaking nursing position. It is also very helpful to bring baby to the breast at baby's very earliest cues-in fact it is often helpful to be holding baby most of the time so early rooting signals can be immediately addressed before baby gets too hungry and frustrated.