Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New mom w Late Preterm baby -need a pep talk

Default Re: New mom w Late Preterm baby -need a pep talk

Thanks! That's a helpful resource!
    I'm going to work on not weighing her until tomorrow as the doctor suggested. I just want everything to be okay.
    I just posted a new thread re: how long to keep her at the breast...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Well, I do not understand why you had to supplement at all.
    I'm sure you're right. But there's quite a bit of pressure from the risk-adverse staff at the hospital. We were at a university hospital & from what I hear they get the worst cases in terms of health of infant and support/knowledge/etc of moms. I think they have to assume the babies will not get optimal care once they leave the hospital so they do everything they can to boost up babies in the short term. I don't know. In general they're very supportive of breast feeding, but they seemed a little miffed that I resisted a formula bottle for her - even though I did relent in giving formula by syringe.

I hear ya. Had my last two babies in a university hospital. There is also the problem of having no idea who you are talking to. With my last baby, this nice young man kept telling my husband and I that our (perfectly healthy and nursing great) baby was 'at risk for jaundice" and "loosing weight more quickly that we would like" and each time followed up with "we may need to supplement with formula" and basically scaring me that I was going to have a fight on my hands. Finally at the 5th visit or so, (I was there three days because of c-section birth) I asked him something and called him "Dr." He hastened to explain he was NOT a doctor but a third year medical student!

Ok. So I continue to worry because baby lost a little weight (or perhaps just failed to gain weight) in the past 3 days.
    She was slow to regain her birthweight but did so by day 15. Two days later (day17) she'd gained 2 more oz. But now 3 days later (day 20) she hasn't gained any more (was at 6lbs10, now weighing 6lbs9.5). I'm really worried. For the past two days I've been finishing nursing by pumping and then feeding her that. The pediatrician has been pushing formula from the start & I felt confident in putting her off because of baby's steady weight gain, but now I'm not as sure. Can I just feed a little formula & pump & store that so as to keep my supply up? Or feed her the pumped breast milk too? Or be patient? I'm feeling really concerned & inadequate.

She's still consistently giving 7 poops a day & peeing every feeding or every other.

I would not panic just yet. Weight gain is seldom if ever steady. It's confusing because moms may be told something like "one baby starts gaining weight, baby should gain about an ounce a day" and think that means baby better be gaining exactly an ounce every day. But actually it means that over a longer amount of time-over the first two to three MONTHS, most healthy babies gain an average of about one ounce a day. (and after that, gain rate slows.) Newborns are not typically being weighed every few days like yours is, and so in those cases, brief periods of slow or no gain may be entirely unnoticed.

Also did we go over the importance of weight check accuracy? Same scale, etc?

But let’s say it is true your baby is not gaining as well as baby should. Formula supplements may or may not be needed. But first, or at least, at the same time, breastfeeding should be assessed in order to figure out WHY baby is not gaining as baby should. Supplements only treat the symptom-no gain-and not the underlying issue. Is it a production issue? A sucking pattern issue? A latch issue? Baby too sleepy and not interested issue? etc- Or might the slow gain have nothing to do with breastfeeding at all?

So, would it be possible for you see an IBCLC to have breastfeeding professionally assessed?
    As far as what you supplement, it is typically preferable to supplement with your own expressed milk as much as possible. But when a mom is supplementing with her own milk, that always raises the question in my mind-why can't baby get this milk at the breast? There must be some reason and addressing that can get everyone back to just breastfeeding.