Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: The end is near....I think... How to wean?

Default The end is near....I think... How to wean?

Not really sure what kind of response(s) I'm hoping to get, maybe just looking for similar experiences.
    My dd is almost 14 months and still nurses about 3-4 times a day. I'm away from home 3 or 4 days at a time and when I return she still nurses. I was on domperidone which I quit, I was tired of taking so many pills for long and unfortunately my milk went with it. I pump at work and I'm lucky if I get 6 oz in a day. The problem is I just don't have as much milk anymore for when she nurses. I feel terrible but I would like to start weaning but I have no idea how. I don't want to upset her, I know some of our nursing is for comfort mostly. How do I do this?

Default Re: The end is near....I think... How to wean?

After a year, nursing becomes progressively less important as nutrition, because baby can get her nutritional needs met from other food sources. It's natural for moms to see their milk supplies decrease as their babies get more and more interested in solid foods. But nursing remains an important source of comfort and bonding even when milk supply is low or nonexistent. So you don't have to wean just because you perceive that supply is low.

Do you want to stop pumping at work? If so, you can- many moms pump wean at a year. If you want to keep it up, there's no reason to stop. 6 oz is actually pretty good pump output for the mom of a 14 month old toddler! It's an important source of calories for your LO and the pumping does help keep your milk supply boosted for the days when you and your child are together.

Now, if you want to wean because you are ready to wean, that's fine! I just don't want you to make the mistake that so many moms do, which is to think that nursing has to be all or nothing- either they can meet all their babies' milk needs with the breast, or they need to wean.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: The end is near....I think... How to wean?

I agree with mommal. Nothing wrong with nursing for comfort.

The general philosphy at LLL is that weaning ideally happens gradually and with love. Vague, right? That is interntional. Every weaning, like every nursing relationship, is unique.

If you would like specific techniques to hurry total weaning along, I suggest the books How Weaning Happens and/or The Nursing Mothers Guide to Weaning. If you are ok with how this is going for now, you need not do anything but let nature takes it's course.