Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Meat aversion

Default Meat aversion

Is an aversion to animal products common in babies/children? My daughter started solids around 6 months and will eat pretty much anything. However, she will not eat meat. She might have a dairy allergy. She has not had any directly and I have not had any since she was about 2 months. We are not testing it again for awhile since I do not really miss it anymore.
    Anyway, I have tried giving her chicken and turkey in a number of forms. Puree, boiled, broiled, roasted. Plain, with veggies, with fruit. She will not eat it.
    Is this typical? Should I be concerned?
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

Default Re: Meat aversion

I think it is very common for kids to not like something or other.

Do you eat meat on a regular basis? I assume you are still nursing? If you eat meat and your baby nurses, you are probably ok. If both you and your baby are essentially on a vegan diet, then you might need to be concerned about low vitamin B12 and possibly low iron(?) unless you and/or baby are getting that from another source. (Sorry this is really not my area, but I do know vegans typically need to supplement with Vit. B12 when breastfeeding-and at other times as well for all I know. I just know about the breastfeeding part of it.)

Since your baby gets none of the added Vit D found in most cow milk, and neither do you, that might be something to think about as well, especailly in winter.

Very common for kids not to like something. Just make sure she gets protein and iron from other sources- beans and tofu are good for protein, and leafy greens are good for iron. Fortified cereals are too, for that matter.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My son is almost 3 and has been regularly rejecting meat for the last 2 years. The first food he took interest in during baby-led weaning was flank steak, but after a few months he started rejecting all meats. There was a short time when he was crazy about meatballs, but that was almost a year ago. Every once in a while I will put a meat product in front of him and he will eat a large portion, but this anomaly occurs every 3-4 months. I just keep putting it in front of him, and he is at the age where we require him to take a taste of everything on his plate, with the hope that he will eventually develop a taste for the kinds of foods we eat.

In the meantime, I do what mommal says, offer beans and greens. Luckily DS really likes black beans and I put spinach and kale into fruit smooties that he "helps" make.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Thanks. She is still nursing and I eat meat. I was a little concerned that she was not getting dairy at all or meat directly but she loves spinach and lentils and does well with almost everything else she has had so I am thinking that is okay for now and I will just keep trying.