Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stained teeth

Default Stained teeth

My 11 month old has some noticeable stains on her bottom teeth. She does nurse a lot at night, but there is no way I am going to push changing that part of our relationship. We brush her teeth twice a day, but as I understand it night nursing isn't a problem as long as we brush her teeth after solids? At such a young age I wonder if there is anything else I can or should be doing and would nursing at night be the issue? My older child had a bottle right before bed until she was well over 1 year and never had any problems with her teeth.

She has 4 other teeth without stains, and the staining happened before she was actually eating many solids, so I'm leaning towards her enamel being weak from the beginning.

Just got me thinking about it seeing the other thread on tooth decay in the toddler forum.
    and Mama to two little girls

Default Re: Stained teeth

If she were mine, I'd take her in to the dentist. If she does have weak enamel, now is the time to find out, when it's just stains and not actual decay.

If your child does have weak enamel, there are things you can do about it. You can wipe her teeth down with a clean washcloth after nursing at night. You can limit her consumption of sweet and sticky foods- candy, dried fruit, juice. And you can even have the dentist paint some fluoride on her teeth, and see if you can harden the enamel.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    If she were mine, I'd take her in to the dentist. If she does have weak enamel, now is the time to find out, when it's just stains and not actual decay.

If your child does have weak enamel, there are things you can do about it. You can wipe her teeth down with a clean washcloth after nursing at night. You can limit her consumption of sweet and sticky foods- candy, dried fruit, juice. And you can even have the dentist paint some fluoride on her teeth, and see if you can harden the enamel.
    Thanks, I tried wiping her teeth down after she was asleep and it wasn't that tough to do, luckily. I don't really think I'm going to be able to manage doing that 3x while we are both asleep at night, but hopefully being diligent about brushing and wiping during the day as well will help. Would you mention the night nursing at the appointment with the dentist? I honestly don't think that is the cause, so I'm reluctant to mention it...I don't think night weaning would work for us anyways at this point. I have neighbors, I don't sleep train, and there is no other room for us to put baby in. We have one bed and that's it.
    and Mama to two little girls

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*karrieperry View Post
    Would you mention the night nursing at the appointment with the dentist? I honestly don't think that is the cause, so I'm reluctant to mention it...I don't think night weaning would work for us anyways at this point. I have neighbors, I don't sleep train, and there is no other room for us to put baby in. We have one bed and that's it.

I don't plan on mentioning it when I take my DS to the dentist. What they don't know isn't any of their business and from all the feedback I've gotten from here and other moms, most dentists aren't "nursing friendly". I tend to overshare but in this case I plan on staying quiet unless absolutely sure I'm not going to be blamed for decay. At this point we don't see any decay on his teeth.
    We , , , and with my little monkey, born 9/30/2012.

I definitely wouldn't mention the night-nursing. 99% likely the dentist will tell you not to nurse at night even if your child's teeth are perfect. Dentists tend not to know the vast difference in risk between nighttime bottle-feeding and nighttime nursing, and assume that night nursing is just as detrimental to the teeth as bottles.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I mentioned night nursing to my dentist, and she said good job, breastfeeding is awesome, do it as long as you can. That being said, I think my dentist was a special one. If they ask, I'd be honest about it, and just tell them that you aren't night weaning at this point. Just like in childbirth, where you can accept the normal procedures or deviate and make your own choices, you can do the same with dental health. They can't force you to do anything you don't want to do.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around