Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is there such a thing as too much weight gain??

Default Is there such a thing as too much weight gain??

DD was born 8-7-13 at 8 lb and at her 2 month appointment she was already 13 and at home the other day we weighed her for curiosity sake and she's already 20lbs. She is EBF, has Reflux but is on medicine, has a BM about every 3 to 4 days, wakes 1-2x at night and eats about every 3-4 hours except her first stretch at night which can be 5-8 hours. She will be 4 months old on 12-7-13. Is this normal?
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

Default Re: Is there such a thing as too much weight gain??

Yes, totally normal. Breastfed babies tend to gain weight most rapidly in the first few months of life, with many babies gaining as much as a pound per week. The rate of weight gain slows down as a baby gets into her second six months and becomes more mobile, putting increasing amounts of calories into things like rolling, reaching, kicking, and crawling, rather than packing them on as fat.

Enjoy the lovable chub while it lasts- it's not permanent.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Is there such a thing as too much weight gain??

I have one of those giant growing babies, too--she was (and still is, as of her 12 month visit this morning!) above the 99th percentile in both weight and length by 4 months old, and she was only a six pound baby at birth! It's okay and totally normal. Enjoy the chunk, and good luck finding clothes that fit.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!