Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weird Fussy Breastfeeding behavior in 3 month old

Default Weird Fussy Breastfeeding behavior in 3 month old

Hi All,

I have a 3 month old, 13 lbs, who has been showing fussy breastfeeding behavior for the past 2-3 weeks. He is on Prevacid for acid reflux so I'm thinking it's not that. He recently got over an ear infection, but the behavior still continues. I previously had major oversupply which has settled down in the past month, and I still have a forceful let-down. Lately the fussiness has occurred more often on the left breast, which produces less milk and has a less forceful let-down, although the behavior occurs on both breasts. It seems to happen at any time during the breastfeeding session, and sometimes occurs the entire time.

Here's what happens: While feeding, he starts squirming and kind of drawing his arm back, away from my breast (I have him in a cradle hold). He often rubs his face with his hand. He starts tugging at my nipple and latching and unlatching (sometimes this hurts!). He also kind of grunts while this is happening. It's such a struggle, and he doesn't look comfortable. He sometimes settles down towards the end of a feeding, but not always. At some feedings the fussy behavior is worse than others, but I haven't found a pattern yet.

Breastfeeding is no fun when it seems like such a struggle! Any idea what's going on? Gas maybe? Early teething (he's been fussy in general, too, and often rubs his face and scrunches his nose up like something's itching him)?

Default Re: Weird Fussy Breastfeeding behavior in 3 month old

Have you tried different positions, in particular side lying and lying back?
    Mama to a sweet kitty born July 2012.

Haven't tried side-lying in a while, but I do do kind of laid back breastfeeding with him in a cradle hold, which I started doing to counteract the fast let-down. I might try side-lying again to see what he does.

Baby doesn't sound congested or have little crusties around his nose, does he? Mine is a little older but does that face rub when he's congested and having trouble breathing. Could explain the unlatching some too...?

How's it going? I agree with pp, this sounds like a positioning and or a flow issue to me, or just a general fussyness due to cold or teething.

It's still happening as bad as ever. We try to keep his nose pretty clean, and he doesn't really sound congested. He doesn't do it at every feeding, but at most he does. I tried the side-lying thing a few days ago and it didn't help. Interestingly, yesterday I noticed he showed the same behaviors with a pacifier in his mouth. Squirming, grunting, and when he grunted he kind of held his breath and his face turned red. I thought he was straining to pass a bowel movement but when I took the paci out of his mouth, he stopped. I'm leaning towards this being a teething issue (he acts like something's itching his nose/mouth all the time now), but in that case, will it ever end???

but in that case, will it ever end???
    yes. In my experience teething discomfort comes and goes.