Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7 month old & constipation

Unhappy 7 month old & constipation

My 7 month old started solids about a month ago. Since then, he barely poops. He used to go 4-5 times a day, now we're lucky if he goes once (and when he does, it's always just little rabbit turds...)

I have been giving him prunes to try to help, but they aren't working. Is there anything else I can do?

Default Re: 7 month old & constipation

You may try holding off on the solids for a while and see if he goes back to his normal bowel movements. If he does, then when you add back the solids, only add one food at a time, and watch which ones seem to affect him. He may have a food allergy to something you have been feeding him. If there is no change after 2-4 weeks of no solids, then it is possible that it is normal for him. To try to increase his movements, you can eat the foods youself to help, like applesauce, prune juice, etc. I would guess that prunes could actually constipate him as they are dried. Does it hurt when he does poop? If not, it isn't constipation. Good luck!

we too had that same problem What I did was cut out all solids and nurse, nurse, nurse, letting that breast milk laxative work its magic Once ds was going again I slowly re-entered solids this time adding more fiber from the begining, now we have not had a problem

It can be perfectly normal to poop less frequently at his age. It sounds like he's pretty obviously constipated, though.

Prune juice worked a little too well for my kids -- if you try it, start with a little!

I have not tried prune juice yet, as my son won't take a bottle from me at all (he knows he doesn't have to!). I will have my daycare provider try some prune juice.

She also gives him rice cereal, which I told her to stop giving him.

I have the same problem with my 3 yr old daughter, so I'm hoping we can break the cycle with my son!

You could try giving it to him with a cup or a spoon. I would start with about a tablespoon anyway.

I agree to cut back on the solids or cut them out altogether, especally carbs like cereal which can be terribly constipating. breastmilk is the very best thing to get things moving again. Solids that can help are fruits such as peaches and pears.

Just thought I would post to say that my baby too was having the same problem-she would only go every few days and they were just like little round stiff turds. I took the advice of OliveOyl and Brittan-I'm so glad I came on this site. I stopped solids for the last 2 days and nursed frequently. Glad to say she went twice today and the first one was more solid but mushy and the second one looked exactly like it did when she was just exclusively nursing. So it seems like it worked!! I'm going to start solids again after I speak to the pediatrician tomorrow-she's got to go in for vaccinations-I hate it when she gets needles
    Anyway, just thought I would post what happened in case anyone else has the same problem-this may work for them too!

So glad to hear that everything worked out!