Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: reassuance on work/pump/feeding

Default Re: reassuance on work/pump/feeding

Well, it went OK. I was so stressed out my morning break I just got 2.5 oz but then at lunch I got more and 6 oz in the afternoon. They took 80ccs x 3 and then a 40cc bottle each after nap. So they just took 9 oz, so 1 oz/hr on the low side but I guess that's how they eat, a little on the low side and always nurse at night, too. I don't know how a pump is supposed to get in 15 min what my babies get in an hr. In the afternoon I was done seeing pts, just had documentation so I pumped 15 min, turned it of a few min then pumped another 15 min.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

so, you pumped almost exactly what they ate? on your first day back? that's awesome!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

No, but I never make what they eat. They took about 18 oz together and I pumped about 12-13, I think, I was trying not to watch too closely and tried to remind myself that the pump is not a good indicator of what they get - especially after my horrible morning pump session.

Should I expect to pump every 3 hrs until they are about a year? It's just this morning pump session that stresses me out. I had to leave a pt early then be late to my next one and felt like I was running late the whole day.

I don't work again till January 4th and only 2 days in Jan and Feb for sure, hopefully just the 2 shifts a month till their birthday. On the other hand maybe my productivity can dip a few mos and I can add in a pt here and there when I am done pumping in the fall to boost things...

That does sound like a good start, krystine. Stress is definitely a big inhibitor of letdown. I suppose if you are always going to be really stressed for that morning pump perhaps just skip it? Since you are only doing infrequent shifts here and there? What do you think auderey/sonogirl? I mean normally I would say yes, every 3 hours - but that is for a mom working five days a week. Since you are only doing a couple shifts a month it seems less likely that skipping a session on those days would make any lasting dent on your supply. And maybe you'd have better output later in the day if you were less stressed.

Also, I think 1 oz/hour is fine. I mean they are only getting in about 1 oz/hour over the whole day, right? And you nurse them all night long. Honestly I think more than 1 oz/hour is only needed if babies are not nursing much at night.

Yeah they take about 24 oz/24 hrs and are all night nursers.

I think if I were in your shoes, and only working infrequent shifts, I wouldn't go crazy to keep my pumping matched perfectly to what they are eating. I agree with bfwmomof3, I don't think a day here or there will negatively dent your overall supply. As a mom who had to pump every TWO hours to make it work, I can say that on the handful of days over the past several months where something happened, and I missed a session, I did not notice any change in my supply on the next days afterwards.

My daughter tracked pretty closely to 1-1.25 oz/hr over the span from about 4.5 months-10 months, then dropped her intake during the day to either just at 1 oz hr or even under that. She also nurses all night long.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

sorry, was away for a few days - yes, i agree - skipping a pump that rarley should be ok, or even can you do a mini pump there so you're not taking the full time but still doing something?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Yeah I was thinking I might feel more anxious if I skip it and also get upset that I'm not getting my legally required (but never taken) break so I think I'll try to at least pump a little. I could never maintain my supply working there full time, no way.

I would think about it as whatever is going to make you least stressed.