Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reassuance on work/pump/feeding

Default reassuance on work/pump/feeding

I go back to work just a few shifts/month in 13 days (totally dreading it but have to). My twins will be 4 mos old and staying home with DH. He is quite supportive and has bottle fed them in their early months before I switched to the lactation aid. Anyway, here is my plan:
    6:20 nurse both babies (takes about an hr) then have 10 min to finish getting ready for work
    8:30 bottle from DH 80-90 ccs??
    9:30 pump
    10:30 bottles
    12:30 pump and bottles
    *then they nap*
    3:30 pump/330 or 4 they wake up and hey a smaller bottle?
    445 or 5 nurse

So I can pump every 3 hrs, and I want to keep their bottle schedule the same as our nursing schedule, more or less. Does this seem about right? 1-1.5 oz per hr, right? They are all night nursers and nurse 10-12x/day. Freezer stash isn't an issue since we have donor milk and I have to supplement with that.

I work 1 shift in Dec so I know I'm blessed but I still am about in tears thinking about 9 hrs away from my precious babies. We have been together except for their 13 nights at NICU.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Default Re: reassuance on work/pump/feeding

Yup, 1-1.5 oz per hour. My daughter always seemed to follow the lower end--at that age, she pretty consistently took 12 oz over a 10 hour separation. Sounds good! You can always tweak the pumping if you need to. I spent my first week optimizing what I needed.

Good luck! It is so hard to go back, but all will be well, I am sure!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Hi krystine,
    It is so hard thinking about going back... but try not to let it ruin your time with them now.

With regards to your pumping schedule, I agree with sonogirl - this looks like a good start, and you can adjust as needed. I was going to say, they are taking bottles four times, while you are pumping three times - but since you are working only a few shifts a month, I don't think it will adversely affect your supply. Definitely try to keep the post-nap bottle small so they can give you a good nursing session when you get home! I think your total amounts look good, probably right on track with what they are usually getting.

Yeah I wasn't sure about altering their feeding schedule and giving larger bottles or feeding them more times than I pump. I'll be doing well to pump 3x. i have a high stress hospital job where every minute of productivity is charted and we bill Medicare etc so it's fast paced and if I am not pumping I never take breaks other than lunch so now I will but my supervisor knows and it's legal just hard to fit in. My supply will drop for a couple of days I am pretty sure just from the stress but yes just a few shifts/month.

I know I shouldn't let this get me down, I just really dread it and am worried about trying to remember everything I need to since going on bed rest in June.

Can you chart while pumping? Some moms find they want to relax while pumping, but if you feel like the clock's ticking and you're not getting your work done, then one option is to try to work while pumping. Pumping while interacting with patients might be awkward, but most of us in health care spend a lot of time documenting too, and I've definitely written notes and looked up things up in the EMR while pumping! Anyway, just a thought. And don't worry about trying to remember things. One you get back in it, it will all be there.

Yes I plan to work while pumping and have my laptop open for documentation. I couldn't pump in a patient's room, for sure! But instead of going to a different floor to the official pumping room I made some signs for the office door since I'm the only one who needs it on the weekends that just say "pumping for my babies. please return in 15 minutes" in case a cleaning staff member needs in or a co-worker has a quick question. I think people will realize pretty fast that I am pumping and I have a nursing cover in my pump bag I can get out for good measure. Pumping in the office will just save me a few minutes.

sounds like a good plan to me! good luck -
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

And if it helps reassure you at all, my daughter also takes bottles more frequently than I pump, and I still kept up! When I first went back, my daughter was drinking six 2 oz. bottles a day, but I was pumping 4 times a day.

I also work while I pump if I have access to a computer. It IS hard when you work in health care! In my case, I'm writing reports. Like bfwmomof3 says, so much of health care is documentation...I just save it all for while I'm pumping!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

They're trying to move us to point of service documentation so when we leave a pt room we're done documenting on them. I do pretty well with that but there are still reports to do that I can't do with a pt, just from lack of time. It's a rush rush rush field!!

It sounds like you have everything well thought out though to make pumping as efficient as possible. I like your plan for the office/sign.