Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Building supply

Default Building supply

Hello ladies! I have a four week old baby who is ebf and will never take a paci. I have a couple of questions regarding returning to work. In 3 weeks I will be completing my externship, this entails working 360 hours in 7 weeks, so 8 -10 hours a day (working for free! ). I have only two 3 oz portions frozen, when/how is the best way to go about pumping enough to store up? I generally pump after feeds, getting 1 -1.5 oz/session and am currently only pumping sporadically... Also, I have a 4 hour trial run this coming week, should I try to introduce the bottle before that?

This is my second child, my 3 year old was breastfed for 6 months (although I had enough frizen supply for 8 months), drank pumped milk like a champ with no nipple confusion, and did.take a paci. Last time around I was pumping 10 - 15 oz/ session, and baby had no problems taking the bottle... This babe seems to be more discriminating already, and I am worried that he will have a hard time with a bottle! I would like to go a whole year with this one, and won't be working after the 7 week externship, so I don't want this blip to effect his ebf habits and endanger our bf'ing!

Thanks!

Default Re: Building supply

Most women find that the best way to start a stash of milk is to pump after the first morning feeding. Milk production tends to peak overnight, so most women notice some extra milk first thing in the morning. Aim to pump consistently- i.e. same time of day, every day- because that will build supply far better than a random pumping session. If pumping after the first morning feeding isn't filling your freezer fast enough, try adding a second session.

Since your trial run is so short and coming so soon, you probably don't need to introduce the bottle before you go. But it wouldn't hurt to try, if you have the time and energy.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for your response! I have been pumping after the first morning feeding, per your advice and seems to be going well My 5 week old is now 13 pounds! How many ounces do you think he should take in a bottle per feeding?

Maybe 3? It sounds like you have a really abundant supply. I think most moms freeze milk in 3 oz portions with 1 oz toppers. Also make sure baby is fed bottle with lots of burp breaks and slowly enough so he isn't over fed which is easy to do with the bottle.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.