Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Helping baby flange lower lip?

Default Helping baby flange lower lip?

My baby is now 1 month old and just now at her EDD. She's finally eating great & gaining good weight. Now I'm turning my attention to our latch. It's okay, but not great and the nursing marathons have left me sore & with a blister! We have another appointment scheduled with an IBCLC but not until Thursday. It's going to be a long 4 days if this doesn't improve at least a little before then. I suspect a major weakness of our latch is that her bottom lip doesn't flange out. I can get my finger in there a flange it for het, but it slips right back in. We do best w cross-body & football hold, & I'm pretty good at bringing her deep into the breast, I think.
    Does anyone have any tips or videos for how to help her little bottom lip stay flanged out?

I hope the solution isn't just to wait until her mouth gets bigger.

Thanks!

Default Re: Helping baby flange lower lip?

What if you pull her chin down gently, rather than just the lip? or push more of your breast tissue in?

Breast sandwich?

laid back?

A trick that helps sometimes is to snug babies bottom in to you, rather than whole baby. to sort of create a nice angle.

Thanks for such a fast response!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    What if you pull her chin down gently, rather than just the lip? or push more of your breast tissue in?
    This does help for a minute but then the lip slips right back in.

Breast sandwich?
    This helps a lot with comfort. Though doesn't fix that pesky lip.

laid back?
    We haven't had much luck w laid back nursing though I be sure to ask the IBCLC for help!

A trick that helps sometimes is to snug babies bottom in to you, rather than whole baby. to sort of create a nice angle.
    This does help a bit! Thanks!? I think we're okay-ish on the angle of her head & chin. If you don't pull her away & really look at what's going on with her lower lip, it looks great, but when you pull that chin back you see the hiding culprit: a tucked in lower lip!

Is it possible that a tiny mouth or pretty big overbite have anything to do with this?
    Last edited by @llli*jessicanewmom; December 23rd, 2013 at 07:08 PM.

This helps a lot with comfort. Though doesn't fix that pesky lip.
    If breastfeeding is comfortable and baby appears to be getting milk (swallows, pooping/gaining normally) then latch is good. It does not have to look "perfect" to be a perfect latch for your baby. In other words, if an adjustment works to the point latch is comfortable you can probably not worry about the lower lip.

Is it possible that a tiny mouth or pretty big overbite have anything to do with this?
    absolutely. So this will likely correct overtime although I do still think it is a good idea to see an IBCLC to make sure latch is as optimal as possible. My oldest son had the tiny mouth and a pronounced recessed chin when he was born-more than typical for a newborn, ands we had very similar latch issues. Btw breastfeeding allows for normal jaw and oral cavity development and will 'fix' such issues over time, at least as far as genetics will allow! My oldest son (who looks exactly like my side of the family) has a lovely strong jaw line now, while my bottle fed sibs and I all have various degrees of overbite/weak chin.

Thank you, Meg! My follow up appt with the IBCLC is tomorrow & I have lots of questions for her!

Baby nursed her way through her first movie in a movie theater tonight

Baby nursed her way through her first movie in a movie theater tonight
    yay! oh how i miss those days!

Just had another awesome appointment with the lactation consultant. I have a big crush on all of them.

They gave lots of great tips, and made me feel really good about how things are going.

Baby transferred almost 3 ounces! And she continues to gain 1 ounce per day.

I hope this doesn't sound like gloating; I'm just thrilled that things are going well. And I'm really thankful to this board (thanks, Meg!) for answering my millions of questions. I'm sure there will be 1 million more!

My new challenge is learning how to set her down every now and then.
    Last edited by @llli*jessicanewmom; December 26th, 2013 at 05:26 PM.