Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: She weaned me cold turkey! HELP!

Default She weaned me cold turkey! HELP!

Ok - I need some help. My darling almost one year old (Dec / 05) decided last week that she no longer wanted the breast. I had been weaning her SLOWLY (I'd only weaned her from 2 feedings!!) and she decided enough was enough. Although I'm sad (I nursed my oldest until she was 21 mnths), I'm also happy to have my body back. My issue - MY BREASTS HURT!!!! Any advice on what to do?? I don't want to pump, as I don't want to increase my milk supply, but I cannot go through the next week with rock hard breasts.

Part of the reason for weaning is her teeth (she's a TERRIBLE teether), but this is it for us. I'm back to work next week, and she's off to the sitters.

So - can anyone out there help me with a solution to the discomfort? PLEASE?!

Default Re: She weaned me cold turkey! HELP!

I can see why you're reluctant to pump, but a little pumping to relieve the engorgement (nothing more) will go a long way! It won't really increase your supply, and you'll likely avoid blocked ducts/mastitis this way.

Lisa

Thanks! I spoke with my Husband's aunt who was a mid-wife in England and she recommended drinking 2-3 tsps of Epsom Salts, dissolved in warm water, limiting my fluid intake and wearing a bra that was a few sizes too small. Anyone heard of the Epsom Salt thing?? I'm ready to hit the green tea and Jasmine Tea (natural diuretics). I'm still open to suggestions!

D.

I haven't weaned yet but have been reading about it, and one thing people area always cautioning against is the binding breasts thing (small bra). You might cause plugged ducts this way.

Good luck!
    Cynthia

I have a friend who put cabbage leaves on her breasts and it dried her up she says.

I also would recommend against limiting your fluid intake......Your body is designed to make breastmilk no matter what, so limiting fluids will only dehydrate YOU. Case in point, I had a raging case of stomach/intestinal flu last March, and wasn't able to really keep anything down for 2 days. Somehow, though, my body still made enough breastmilk for my exclusively breastfed 6-month old! Of course, it landed me in the hospital so I could be hooked up to an IV for fluids! (It was a funny scene seeing me there in the ER barely conscious, yet breastfeeding my baby!)

Lisa

When I stopped breastfeeding my first, my mother in law told me to wrap myself and just stop...HUGE MISTAKE!!!! That is one of the most painful things I've ever done!! I know you don't want to pump, but you really should pump some...relieve the pressure, and your body will still start to make less because you won't pump as much as you had been nursing. Once your body is more regulated to that, then you can cut out pumping slowly as well and it will be much more comfortable...trust me....I've done the cold turkey thing, and would NEVER recommend it to anyone!! My second child I slowly weaned, taking out one feeding every couple days and that worked great...no real pain at all!! Good luck!!
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!