Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toddler hand on a recon mission

Default Toddler hand on a recon mission

Vent: the free toddler hand that gropes, digs and scrapes with nails drives me crazy. At 16 mos the toy in the hand trick doesn't work. It's an all out arm wrestling match where my free hand can either hold a book, iPad etc while I get tortured or I can abandon any idea of doing anything while nursing but protecting the goods . I have perma-rash on my chest from all the nail scraping!
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Default Re: Toddler hand on a recon mission

Mine doesn't scratch so much on purpose, but sometimes her little nails are sharp! She's taken to fondling the other breast/nipple lately (never had a problem before the past week or so), and it's driving me a little crazy. No advice, just commiseration!

Telling ds he cannot twiddle until he cuts his nails is the only way to get him to let me trim him. I'd love to know the reason why babies and toddlers are so focused on playing with the free boob. Mostly I've learned to ignore the groping but it's getting really uncomfortable now that I'm pregnant.

I haven't been able to do anything with my free hand other than occupy the nursling since she was about 4 months old. I need that free hand to hold the other groping hand, or catch a foot that she wants smelled (first with my nose, then, my other breast has to smell the foot...), etc, etc.

Those nails ARE razor sharp. We trim while she's asleep, because at just over 12 months old, it's the only way to get them cut. My husband trims them as short as possible. Otherwise, yes, my chest looks like it's been hit with razors.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm always one-handed on a smartphone, either using the forums while pumping, or while a baby is sleeping on me.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sonogirl View Post
    I haven't been able to do anything with my free hand other than occupy the nursling since she was about 4 months old. I need that free hand to hold the other groping hand, or catch a foot that she wants smelled (first with my nose, then, my other breast has to smell the foot...), etc, etc.

Those nails ARE razor sharp. We trim while she's asleep, because at just over 12 months old, it's the only way to get them cut. My husband trims them as short as possible. Otherwise, yes, my chest looks like it's been hit with razors.
    Over the weekend I decided to trim, file and buff her nails thinking I had found a brilliant solution to the scrape scrape scrape. NOPE. Little demon nails. She does this not just while falling asleep, but while she dreamfeeds. What a treat!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*debbers View Post
    Over the weekend I decided to trim, file and buff her nails thinking I had found a brilliant solution to the scrape scrape scrape. NOPE. Little demon nails. She does this not just while falling asleep, but while she dreamfeeds. What a treat!
    Yeah, actually, the scrape-scrape-scrape is the worst while my daughter sleeps, too. She doesn't usually deliberately pinch or scratch me at all while she's awake anymore; I think months and months of redirecting that behavior have finally paid off. Over and over and over again with "Mommy likes nice touch," and demonstrating. But she still does it while falling asleep and while asleep. I'm not sure there's really a way to redirect that...
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm always one-handed on a smartphone, either using the forums while pumping, or while a baby is sleeping on me.

Dream groping is now an extended dream feeding activity. This kid can nurse, dig, scrape, scratch, pinch and twist all while sleeping. I am fighting that hand off all night while I am sleeping. And sometimes when I defend and protect the goods she pops off and starts wailing as her hand battles to resume its position. All. While. Sleeping. OMG.

Quote Originally Posted by debbers
    It's an all out arm wrestling match where my free hand can either hold a book, iPad etc
    I think she's telling you she wants your full attention. I'd try nursing without any other distractions for you first and see how she fares with more eye contact, conversation, head rubbing, etc.

During sleep, if you cosleep, try snuggling as close as possible to her while side lying and tucking her hands under the bottom boob. She sounds like she might be receptive to a sensory prop, like a silk tag on a Taggies blanket.
    Last edited by @llli*alphawoman; December 7th, 2013 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alphawoman View Post
    I think she's telling you she wants your full attention. I'd try nursing without any other distractions for you first and see how she fares with more eye contact, conversation, head rubbing, etc.

During sleep, if you cosleep, try snuggling as close as possible to her while side lying and tucking her hands under the bottom boob. She sounds like she might be receptive to a sensory prop, like a silk tag on a Taggies blanket.
    I don't focus on anything while nursing but nursing when she's awake. Actually if it's a meal vs nursing to sleep I sing to her and she loves it if I can prop one of her books up and read to her. What a life - gulping warm milk and being read to while snuggling!

I'm specifically speaking to an issue that goes on while she's asleep. Since she naps on me too (we do not use a crib and she will not nap alone) I'm sometimes under a sleeping kid for anywhere from 90 min to 3 hours. And yes sometimes once she's out I'm going to want to pull out my iPad etc. But she is a big dream feeder and dream groped. See my post from last night. She will stay latched a long long time. This morning in bed she latched on at 4:45 and rolled about and groped on and off for 75 min. I couldn't sleep a wink. However I go to bed quite early with her at night to ensure with what ever wake ups I'm going to endure that I do get some sleep.

I don't understand the side lying suggestion. Her bottom hand is not an issue. It's ticks. It's the free top hand doing all the roaming at any given hour we are in bed between 8pm and 6am.

Quote Originally Posted by alphawoman
    During sleep, if you cosleep, try snuggling as close as possible to her while side lying and tucking her hands under the bottom boob.
    I've bolded a section of my previous post, which I think will clarify your confusion. Another idea might be a pair of light cotton mittens.

She's at an age where you can be pretty consistent with enforcing nursing manners in the daytime and expect some improvement. This will eventually spill over into night time. In your shoes, I'd end every daytime session gently when she scratches. You can resume again as soon as she understands that scratching isn't acceptable. It'll take some consistency, but firmly holding her hand away will work too.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that her 1 year molars are coming through. I had a similar experience with DS25mo at that age where we'd be awake 8 times each night. I'm grateful to say it passed quickly, so chin up!