Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 week old gaining weight but not pooping

Default 3 week old gaining weight but not pooping

My baby boy is EBF, has been gaining weight really well but not pooping often. He gained a lb in a week last week and he has several wet diapers, so I assume he is getting enough bm..but,
    He will have a BM once every 48 hours sometimes. If not, once a day. He also looks uncomfortable most of the time after nursing making grunting noises and becoming tense so Im worried he is constipated? I tried a qtip today and nothing. I dont like doing that though.
    I remember my first pooping atleast 3 times a day! so this is concerning to me.
    Id also like to mention that he wakes up every hour or hour 1/2 to nurse all night and grunts all night....
    He has a doc appnt tomorrow but I wanted to see if anyone has gone through this?

Thanks.

Default Re: 3 week old gaining weight but not pooping

Welcome to the forum!

If the baby is gaining weight well, I wouldn't worry about the infrequent pooping. Most babies poop multiple times a day until at least 6 weeks, after which some of them will go a week (sometimes more) between poops. It's possible that your baby just reached that point a bit before 6 weeks, which is a bit unusual, but not unheard of.

Breastfed babies don't get constipated, because breastmilk actually has a mild laxative effect. So no need for the Q-tip routine. However, a lot of babies find pooping or passing gas rather upsetting and even difficult, not because of hard dry stool (i.e. constipation) but rather because they haven't yet figured out all the muscular actions required to expel something from the bottom of their digestive system. If your LO seems very uncomfortable, I suggest nursing him and then putting him slightly upright in a warm bath. That often relaxes the baby enough to let things fly- though on the down side, you end up scrubbing the tub!

The frequent nursing is very normal at this age, but I would definitely mention the all-night grunting to the pediatrician.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am curious what your baby's doctor thought? I have to say I am a bit suprised baby this young is not pooping more often with such fast gain. But I do agree with mommal, constipation seems unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    The frequent nursing is very normal at this age, but I would definitely mention the all-night grunting to the pediatrician.
    See? I was going to say the all night grunting sounds typical of (noisy) newborn sleep, haha!
    Mama to a sweet kitty born July 2012.