Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nervous

Default Nervous

Hello!

My baby is 10 days old. I have EBF since day 1. When my milk first came in, I felt like I was producing enough for him. Over the last few days, I haven't Ben able to hear him swallow much, and he's acting lazy and sleepy at the breast. He has plenty of wet and dirty diapers. I haven't weighed him since last Wednesday. I'm going to see a LC tomorrow and will weigh him. He doesn't cry during or after feelings. He will pull himself off contently or will comfort nurse while snoozing.
    I feel sad, like I'm not producing enough for him.
    Thank you!

Default Re: Nervous

That should have been, been, not Ben!!

Hi and congrats on your new baby!

Many moms are concerned they do not make enough milk for their babies. Sometimes there really is a problem, but in the vast majority of cases, there is plenty of milk.

Are you seeing the LC because of the milk production concerns or for some other reason? How many times a 24 hour day does baby nurse? Is it less then 10 times a day total? Babies typically nurse to sleep and of course sleep most of the time. Basically, a newborn who is not eating is probably sleeping. Also a baby may nurse IN their sleep. That is all normal.

Output appears normal, correct? This is usually a good sign baby is getting enough milk. However, the most conclusive way to tell a baby is getting enough milk is weight gain. Unfortunately, this is very tricky especially during the first couple of weeks because baby is usually being weighed on many different scales (delivery room, hospital nursery, pediatricians office, Lactation office) and that can make weight checks inaccurate.

Also, of course, a baby will very often lose weight for the first several days, then start gaining again. If all you look at is birth weight and weight at 10 days or so, it may look as if baby is not gaining or even losing weight, when in fact baby lost weight and is now on the way back up as is normal and typical. This is why the rule of thumb is that it is expected baby will be BACK to birth weight by day 10-14.

Kelly mom has a good article on what to expect in the early weeks. http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; November 18th, 2013 at 04:46 PM.

Hi! I'm seeing the LC so she can watch a session and help determine if we are doing this right. I'm concerned that he's not getting enough because frequently he will suck 5-10 times before noticing a swallow, if I do. He also gets sleepy very easily.

He nurses at least 10 times a day!

He has a bm with pretty much every nursing session, and lots of wet diapers!

Thank you!

OK, so poops and nursing frequency sound good to me. I hope the LC can set your mind at ease. Just FYI, I have nursed three kids including one where there were some pretty bad latch issues & concern he was not getting enough milk, and I NEVER counted how many sucks there were before swallows. I don't even know how many there are supposed to be! My point is, this is not something a mom typically needs to be worrying about. Observing suck/swallow/breath coordination pattern is one thing an IBCLC uses to assess breastfeeding when there is evidence of a milk intake problem (like slow gain) she is trying to solve.

Here is an article about what is typical at an appointment with an IBCLC. http://cwgenna.com/lconsult.html

with everything LLLMeg said. Especially with the bit about the suck-swallow pattern- it's something you only need to think of if there are other signs of a problem, like low diaper output or slow weight gain.

One thing that you may have noticed is that when your milk first came in, you felt full or engorged a lot of the time. A lot of moms mistake the feeling of fullness/engorgement for having sufficient milk. What they don't realize is that feeling full/engorged means that you're making more milk than your baby needs. This is a normal but transient phase of breastfeeding- when milk first comes in, it tends to be extremely abundant, which means that it's really easy for the newborn to get enough to eat and to start gaining weight. But making all that extra milk also puts a mom at risk for things like plugged ducts and mastitis, so after a while most moms find that their milk supply adjusts to meet baby's needs without a lot of extra, at which point the fullness/engorgement phase ends. Once supply and demand are really in sync, most moms will rarely if ever feel full or engorged.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

And just in case you've ever wondered, letdown sensation is in no way indicative of milk supply. I've never felt letdown, and my healthy and extremely tall 2-year-old still exists mostly on my milk! That's courtesy of my milk, because I know he doesn't photosynthesize. (ha!)

Congrats on your son's birth!! How are you feeling?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lagraham122 View Post
    He has plenty of wet and dirty diapers. He doesn't cry during or after feedings. He will pull himself off contently or will comfort nurse while snoozing.
    I wanted to highlight these statements. These are all POSITIVE!

If he's got good wet and poopy diapers, there's lots coming out because there's a lot going IN! He's happy and content. That is a sign of a well fed baby. He pulling off when he's done or is comfort nursing happily. Happy baby!

I know it's hard, but concentrate on the BIG picture. Trust your baby. He's telling you he's fine. I'll also bet that you found out that he's gaining weight when you went to have him weighed.

It's not about how your breasts feel or the feelings of let down. It's how your body is responding to your baby and how your baby is doing overall that counts. Your body will sync up with baby, which is what you want. It sounds like you're off to a great start together!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and