Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I need help

Default Re: I need help

Totally makes sense! Thank you.

I am nursing more frequently and pumping less, which has helped. I didn't pump at all yesterday and only once the day before just because I was so full in the morning. My son is sleeping through the night now (he's 2 months old today) and typically nurses at 9:30 pm and sleeps until 4:30 am. I wake up sometimes to very engorged breasts at around 4 am. Do women typically pump in the middle of the night? I don't pump in the middle of the night and want to make sure I am not missing something.

What people do when their babies sleep through is a matter of choice. Some moms wake up and pump- especially working moms who might need some more milk to put in the baby's daycare bottles. Some moms just put up with the fullness. If they do, it usually diminishes within a fairly short time. And some moms just wake their babies up, and feed them in the middle of the night.

Something you should be aware of is that sleeping through the night is a gift from the universe, one which may be taken back at any time. A lot of babies sleep through early on and then return to night-waking when teething, going through growth spurts, and/or mastering new developmental milestones. So enjoy your sleep now, but don't get too used to it!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

7 hours is a pretty long stretch of sleep for a 2 month old. If my baby were two months old and sleeping a long stretch, and I was waking up with engorged breasts at any point, I would take that as a message my body was sending me and I would get my baby and see if he would like to nurse right then!

Why does my son look like he's "chomping" on my breast (especially during the first part of the feed)? He is still latched on pretty shallow, too.

Does the chomping phase feel bad, or just look bad? It may be that the baby initially latches on a bit shallow, and chomps as he works his way into a better position. I'd only worry about it if it felt bad.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

He's been having a shallow latch/chomping for a while now and I haven't had pain. Last night was the first time my nipples felt sore. I didn't know if it had anything to do with my fast flow at all.

As long as you're not feeling sore in general, then I wouldn't worry about the chomping. But if the soreness continues or intensifies, it might be time to think more about this.

I really don't know how much more longer I can do this. My sons diapers are not as wet as they used to be and it only takes a few sucks before he starts crying hard--this is 98% of feeds. Nothing works. I'm beyond frustrated and HATE to see him have so much trouble.

I should add when he starts crying--I can't console him he just won't eat. So, I try later, but he usually has his hand in his mouth right after.