Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I need help

Default Re: I need help

I know you talked to some experts, but have you been to see someone recently about this issue? What may have seemed normal early on as far as latch and baby’s behavior may be looked at in a different light at two months of age. Can you see an IBCLC who is clinically trained and experienced in outside the norm breastfeeding problems and can take some time with you and watch baby nurse, examine baby, etc? like this - http://cwgenna.com/lconsult.html

Has reflux and/or forceful letdown been ruled out in your opinion? Has baby been examined for tongue or lip tie?
    Because otherwise I am truly confused about what would make your baby be so unhappy while nursing all the time and all this time. Feeding at the breast is the normal way for all babies to eat, so if a baby is unhappy nursing, something is clearly not right, so its important to figure out what it is. While I think our support can help, this is starting to sound to me like it is outside the normal course of breastfeeding that LLL Leaders and CLE’s (breastfeeding educators who give classes) are usually going to have much experience with. This is why there are IBCLC’s- to help mothers and babies with outside of the norm breastfeeding issues like this.

Also, let's say your baby simply is unhappy nursing and there is nothing to be done but bottle feeding. I think this is unlikely but, you have been living this for 2+ months, not me.

Is pumping & giving your baby your expressed milk an option you would consider? This would have two benefits-1) your baby would still be getting your milk, and your milk production would be there should you and/or baby wish to try nursing again down the line. I cannot tell you how many moms I have talked to who stopped nursing in the early months who regretted that decision later. Too many. So if you have any doubts on that score, I do suggest consider trying a little longer or pumping to keep up your production if you switch to bottles.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; December 4th, 2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: can't spell

A trip to the IBCLC might be a really good idea at this point.

Unlike LLLMeg, I'd only recommend pumping and bottles if you are truly, truly at the point where you're ready to quit nursing. Pumping has a lot of drawbacks, and I wouldn't want any mom to exchange breastfeeding problems- which tend to get better as time goes on- for pumping problems. Unlike breastfeeding, pumping never gets easier.

If you do start using bottles, I strongly recommend keeping the baby on the breast for at least 1-2 feedings per day. That can help keep your options open for the future, giving you a better shot at going back to nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I took it from mackaroos first & last post that she is considering weaning baby to formula due to the difficulty her baby has with nursing. I was suggesting pumping and bottlefeeding her own milk as an alternative to that.

I think my supply is going downhill, too since I stopped pumping to help with the flow and with him sucking for a few minutes then stopping and me trying again an hour later----I think it's resulted in a huge drop to the supply. My boobs seem "floppy" a lot---I'm assuming that's empty?!? I saw a lactation consultant two weeks ago who told me that she thinks he has coordination problems with his suck swallow breathe. She told me she doesn't have any answers for me that he may or may not get any better. I have not considered reflux since he doesn't spit up that much. It's just so unbelievably frustrating I can't even explain how frustrating it is. The only reason I have made it this far is the hope that he will magically improve at 3 months (people have told me that and I have read it on here). He is 2 months and a week old now.

Don't worry too much about being floppy. Once milk supply and milk demand have adjusted and are well-matched, most moms will rarely if ever feel full. The average feeding is just a couple oz of milk, and it's easy for that small amount to "hide" in the breast. It's only when you're making more milk than the baby needs that you feel full all the time.

If you're concerned about milk intake, watch your child's diaper output. As long as that is normal, he's getting enough to eat.

One thing that often happens when mom goes from making too much milk to making just enough is that the baby suddenly acts really fussy. He got used to one style of nursing- milk flooding him without any effort- and now he has to readjust his habits and get used to a totally different style, one where he has to really work for his meals. Result: fussy baby.

How would you rate baby's suck/swallow/breathe coordination at this point? Have things changed since your supply decreased? Or does the baby still seem to be struggling?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I try to lay him down and do a side-lying position as much as I can. He does the best when he's sleepy. So, I try to get him up from a nap when he's starting to stir and make noise. If I'm lucky he will nurse for 10 minutes. It happened two times yesterday. For most feedings (I offer all the time since I'm home with him). My boob is out a lot just trying to see if he'll take it.

He will seem interested it, sucking for two seconds, pull back and start crying. I can tell when he's about to start crying because he kicks both legs and then cries. I don't see a change since my supply has decreased. He never shows hunger signs except for the last few days he will put his hand in his mouth (never crying when he does this). His diapers are still wet, but not soaking like they used to me, maybe just one or two pees in there, I would guess. His poops are still yellow.

But, yes, still struggling. I don't get it--last week was a good week. He would pop off and on, but didn't cry as much and then last Saturday it started again and it's been crying at most feeds since.

10 minutes is actually a pretty long nursing session for a lot of babies. Many babies become so efficient at the breast that they can get all their needs met in just a few minutes. My second-born child, for example, never nursed longer than 5 minutes from about 1 week of age onwards.

Crying within a couple of sucks is interesting. To me, it would fit with the oversupply you had before. I'm thinking that either baby cries because he's used to milk coming shooting out at him and he's upset because he's anticipating being blasted with a fast letdown, OR that he's wondering what has happened to his milk, now that it doesn't come shooting out within a couple of sucks.

There's another possibility, which is that he's just not hungry- you're offering all the time, and maybe sometimes he's just not that into it. As long as his diaper output is normal, it's okay if he turns you down from time to time.

Forgive this stupid question. I read somewhere "By 1 to 2 months of age, a breastfed baby will probably nurse seven to nine times a day". Does "day" mean 12 hours or 24 hours? I'm just curious. I have always feed Titus on demand and will continue to do so, but have noticed now that he's 2.5 months old that he likes to eat every 3 hours or so. I just want to know if I feed him every three hours---is that enough?

There are no stupid questions!

If your baby is gaining weight well and spontaneously develops a pattern of eating every three hours, that is fine. It means he's nursing 8 times in 24 hours. That's on the lower end of the frequency spectrum- a lot of babies nurse far more frequently than that, with many continuing to nurse 10-12 or even more times a day well past that 1-2 month period you read about in the book. But it doesn't really matter whether a baby is nursing 15 times a day or 7 times a day, provided that he is growing well and being fed on demand.

If you're concerned, you could always offer a little more frequently than every 3 hours, and see if baby is interested. If he is, awesome. If he's not, no pressure- just wait until he is. One thing that might happen- might!!!- is that by feeding more frequently during the day, your baby's nighttime calorie needs will be lower and he'll sleep somewhat longer. No promises, though!