Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breakfast

Default Breakfast

Hell everyone. My DD will be 9 mo next week. She BF very well and has been growing/gaining great. We do baby led solids. She goes to a sitter 4days a week. I have been sending 15-17 oz of EBM and some solids to experiment with for lunch. I would like to give her more opportunities to experiment with solids. She naps/nurses a lot in the evening when I get home...so we don't do solids a supper very often. I was thinking I could send some for breakfast time.
    I want to make sure that she gets her milk before solids. I nurse her around 4am then get ready and leave for work. She goes back to sleep for a few hours and DH takes her to the sitter around 7:30am. She usually wants her first bottle between 8-9 am. If I have the sitter wait until after the first bottle to do solids its getting too close to 2nd bottle and lunch. Pulse she would be eating alone. The other kids eat at 7:45am . Do you think it would be OK to offer her solids before her first bottle? Or should I just try to change her evening routine so I can just offer at supper?
    Thanks for your help
    First time momma to one amazing baby girl 2/28/2013
    Natural non medicated hospital birth

We also practice EC

Default Re: Breakfast

Can your DH give a bottle before going to the sitters? I liked to space out my LO -- nursing or bottle, half hour to an hour, then solids. If not, I guess you will have to decide based on your LO's habits if you think the solids would interfere with a later bottle. My LO never had trouble eating, nursing, anything, no matter the schedule! But some babies might not want their milk if they are big solids eaters.

I remember that time of LO nursing a lot, having solids and napping was very tough to schedule. Every hour was something -- either nursing (or bottle while I was gone), solids, then a nap.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

with #2, due mid-June. Will I ever sleep again?

I think it's a great idea to do a solids breakfast rather than dinner. That way it isn't affecting the amount of nursing being done at all and it gives you a little leeway as far as how much milk you need to pump and send to day care. It doesn't matter so much what order you go in when you're feeding with the bottle. Your baby will either drink the bottle or not, but it's not going to affect your supply in terms of not providing enough stimulation to your breasts. IMO, at this age it's okay for your LO to start taking less milk from a bottle (if that's what happens) because often 9-10 months is about the time many moms notice a decrease in the amount of milk they are able to pump anyway.

This is assuming you continue to nurse on demand when you are together and your baby is getting plenty of milk overall, which it sounds like you are doing. I definitely think it's better to do breakfast and continue to encourage frequent nursing in the evenings and at night.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

^I agree with everything Still.Here said!

And you could always just send a small breakfast portion for her, to start anyway, to the DCP ... that way even if she's really into it, she's still likely to be interested in her 8am bottle. And depending on how that goes, you can up the portion size later.

DH used to give her a bottle before going to the sitters or she would get one right after she got there. Now she will not drink anything until later in the morning. If offered early she turns her head pushes bottle away and gets fussy. However when I'm home she will nurse multiple times in the morning.
    I guess I'm just scared to try more solids...I just don't want to mess my supply up. But maybe I should just try it for a week or two and see what happens. Im probably just over thinking things LOL.
    Thank you

PS I thought of another solids question. How did you prepare meats for baby to try doing BLW?

We also practice EC

Have you had supply problems in the past? Solids are a natural part of the process, it's not likely to upset your supply unless you (or someone else) is really pushing them hard and getting baby overstuffed. Baby-led solids usually prevents that from happening, since you are letting baby decide how much to eat. But, as always, if you do start to notice baby nursing less you can always back off on solids. I was pretty relaxed about meals with my daughter- some days she got them and some days she didn't. We didn't have a strict solids schedule, though I always nursed her on demand so I was confident she had plenty to eat. She usually got dinner because that was the only way I got to eat uninterrupted but the other meals were hit and miss, especially on weekends when she wasn't on the day care schedule. I did offer small, healthy snacks fairly regularly, but she's always been a grazer, even when she was exclusively nursing. She still eats that way and she's 7.

For meats I did things like shredded chicken, strips of thin sliced deli turkey, seasoned crumbled hamburger (with rice). You can also use stock/broths (homemade or low-sodium) to make rice or mashed potatoes.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks for all the great advice!

*Still.here
    I havent had any supply problems or any issues with BF at all. I just didn't want to create any. I know that solids and a gradual decrease in nursing/ milk intake are all part of it. Its just hard to except that my baby won't be a baby for much longer. When I was pregnant I had a goal to bf for at least a year. I didn't realize how important bf would be to me or DD. now I want to keep going until she self weans. I don't really think solids are going to effect her milk intake very much right now. We have been very relaxed about offering them so far. I just need to stop over thinking it and let her lead the way ! Thanks for the advice! And the meat tips I think we will start offering breakfast solids this weekend.

We also practice EC