Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Previously EBF baby now mostly BF crying at the breast

Default Previously EBF baby now mostly BF crying at the breast

My baby who is now 10 weeks was EBF for the first two weeks, I ended up supplementing and then by the time he was one month he was almost only bottle fed. Right now I am only getting drops but I did rent a hospital grade pump because I want to rebuild my supply and EBF again at the breast. A couple days ago my baby did latch with a nipple shield but pulled off when he realized nothing was coming out. Now yesterday he wouldn't even try to latch and when I tried to bring him to the breast he cried and screamed but calmed down when I gave him his bottle. I was trying the medela SNS but again he wouldn't even try to latch just cried. What can I do to get him to try to latch and realize there is milk(with the SNS). I am trying to pump at least every 2-3 hours to rebuild my supply but I am afraid my baby is not going to go back to the breast? Also I should mention he was diagnosed with GERD at one month and we are trying to get his pain under control with medicine.

Thanks

Default Re: Previously EBF baby now mostly BF crying at the breast

I wish we could give you a guarantee that your baby will go back to the breast, mama. But we can't. All you can do is to rebuild supply and to patiently, calmly continue to offer. The techniques mentioned in this link are your best shot: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast. The skin-to-skin and instant reward techniques are said to be especially useful, and instant reward should help baby figure out that if there's milk on the breast (droplets dribbled on using a bottle or expressed by hand) there might be milk in the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"