Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When baby is full, spit up and another random q.

Default When baby is full, spit up and another random q.

OK I am without the scale and have been for over 3 weeks now. I usually think I can tell when my babies are full, but sometimes it is hard. I think my bigger twin would just nibble all day long (he loves his paci, too), yesterday he nursed 1.5 hrs after little bro took most of the milk then spent the next half hr+ spitting up.

I read spit up peaks at 4 mos. They are 4 mos in a week/3 mos adjusted. My little guy esp. spits up like crazy but I don't think that means he is overfed, but sometimes I think he is doing it after over-feeding. I just feel like I don't know what I am doing. I don't have the scale so it's hard for me to say if they've had enough, if I am giving enough supplement (they're getting donor milk in a lactation aid/tube at breast) or did I give too much supplement? I put them on breast and put them on and on and they nurse 10-12x/day/ 12 if you count the nursing to sleep for the big afternoon family nap and at bed at night. (12+ really). But they also like to suck, so do I say little guy has had enough if he seemed content for a few minutes after nursing (I read this in womanly art) but sucks on his hand 5 minutes later? Spitting up just means they have weak muscles, right? Not that they got too much? I give them burp breaks but milk always comes up, sometimes quite a bit.

Also, just randomly thrown in there, but if we start solids at 6 mos we can skip purees and just go to sweet potato fries (homemade), etc? Avocado strips? Purees were really just invented because people started pre-6 mo?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Default Re: When baby is full, spit up and another random q.

Hi krystine,

I think you're over-analyzing the spitting up. Remember as long as they're "happy spitters" it's a laundry problem (as mommal says), and that's it. Two of my three spit up for many months - as you say it takes a while for the sphincter between the esophagus and the stomach to be fully developed. So even a small amount of milk can come back up. (Also, even when it looks like a lot, it might not be.) I distinctly remember with my first being at a Christmas party (and therefore wearing something semi-nice) when he was six months old and still being very reliant on my burp cloths! And being obsessed with their hands and sucking is also totally normal and not a sign that they are not getting enough - though when in doubt, no harm in offering.

Having learned about baby-led solids on this site, with my current LO I skipped the purees altogether and let her self-feed from the beginning.

The spit up just makes me want to cry sometimes. So how can I really tell if they are content?

Oh I know - such a mess! Like you really need more laundry to do, right?

As far as being content - you know they are nursing often enough, and you know their weight gain has been great - so that tells you they are getting enough. And sometimes they'll be fussy no matter how much milk they've had. And spit ups and sucking on hands don't tell you anything. I mean really the only thing that matters in the end is that they are gaining appropriately, and diapers can give you a clue in between weight checks. I guess I am wondering - knowing that they have been gaining fine up until now, and that things have stabilized out in terms of your supply and how much you supplement - do you think you could rest a little easier and just tell yourself that you will see how things are progressing at their next weight check?

Oh yeah I am doing a lot better without the scale now but it is still hard sometimes. Like sometimes I think a baby looks full but he hasn't had his tube milk yet so I give that to him. Or I think he can skip the tube milk but 20 min later while I'm nursing his brother I think he's still hungry so he gets back on. They don't get checked again until their 4 mo check up 2 weeks from yesterday. I was pretty glad I felt that I could go a whole month without weighing them. My mom says to just enjoy them - she knows I am very thankful for them but doesn't think I relax and enjoy them.

Well but that's how it is with babies - their needs and wants change from moment to moment and we just have to figure it out, right? I think every parent feels at a loss sometimes about what their baby wants! So you just have to be flexible - just as you describe. Baby seems full? Stop nursing. Maybe not? Offer some more! Anyway, I agree with your mom . Do remember to try to enjoy them a bit too!