Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night nursing, co-sleeping, and serious sleep deprivation

Default Night nursing, co-sleeping, and serious sleep deprivation

Just the other day my supervisor was saying "well at least you're past the initial sleep deprivation phase". Apparently his children didn't go through what mine is.
    My DS, now 13.5 months, was sick last week and at this point its just turned into a hacking cough. Otherwise he is well and in really good spirits during waking hours. But for the love of God, he has been waking up every night, sometimes 5 or 6 times, kicking, screaming, whining, and continuously nursing, in this really frantic, unrelenting way. And no amount of nursing last night helped. Last night he would nurse, then fuss, kick off all our covers, then kick me in the chest, punch my DH in the face, etc. Needless to say we were not in a good parenting space due to being dead tired and getting over the illness ourselves.
    I wonder if he is starting to teethe again. He has 7 teeth in front. He hasn't had a tooth eruption for about 4 or 5 months now. He may be due. Also, when he's been sick in the past this has happened, but never this badly.
    Any tips? I'm so tired ladies! And my poor DH, at one point I accidentally hit his back really hard in the middle of the night.
    BTW, the thing that eventually put him to sleep and stopped any more nursing until later in the morning was a walk in the ergo around the house with DH (God love him, he saved me. I'm the working mom and he's the SAHD so I need my sleep to be able to function!) It was in total I think 2 hours of crying and kicking and all that in the middle of the night.

Default Re: Night nursing, co-sleeping, and serious sleep deprivatio

Ugh!! That is so rough! I remember during one such night coining the term "mombie", because my son was so congested he couldn't fall asleep with anything short of a 75 degree angle and kept me up almost all night. I strapped him in the ergo and walked on the treadmill for God knows how long at 1am, then tried to sleep sitting up with him in the carrier. I kept getting sneezed on and was thinking, "Dear Lord, please don't let me get sick."

Those nights are so hard, but thankfully it's a phase that will probably be rather short-lived. Make sure you get as much TLC for yourself as possible, and try doing a cognitive wind-down with your LO. On crazy awake nights, the only thing that calms my DS is to have a rapid flow of lots of information into his brain. Then he conks out in a sleepy, brain-sated delirium. Might be worth a try!

Hugs mama. That sounds like a pretty rough stretch. We've all been there and its no fun!

I'm sure you've already taken him to the doctor, but do you think there's any chance a secondary illness (like an ear infection or sinus infection) could be developing? Sometimes if my little man appears to have turned the corner on an illness, but then his sleep goes to crap again, it's a sign something else could be cropping up. Then again, your theory about teeth is certainly a very plausible one!

Oh, this sounds rough. I am used to the frequent night nursing at this point, but anything that would require me to actually get up out of bed would seriously exhaust me, too!

I bet you'll be in the clear soon. The few times my girl has been sick, it's taken a bit more time after the illness passed for her sleep to settle back to her version of normal. Everything often lingers at night, even if you feel well during the day. Plus, 13.5 months is a rough time. Your supervisor clearly had no idea what he was saying, ha! Teeth, development, all of those things tend to make for pretty wakeful kids at this age. Hang in there, and hopefully all will be better again in a few days.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm always one-handed on a smartphone, either using the forums while pumping, or while a baby is sleeping on me.

Thanks so much everyone! No haven't taken him to the doctor yet. I'm going to call the nurse instead for advice. He has never had an infection in his ear or sinuses (knock on wood) and he has been more ill than this in the past, such as when he was in daycare. It actually seems his immune system is doing quite well because previously it would have taken two weeks or more to get over this and this is only a week with no more head congestion observed.
    I also introduced two possible dietary things that could have caused some upset: gluten and shellfish, in the last two weeks. We are pescatarian (no meat, just fish) and I gave him some seitan we made (it's vital wheat gluten with lots of spices and beans and things) but I think it was a little much as he had a big pooping day the last couple of days. I don't think the smoked clams could have caused much since he only had two individual clam pieces in as many days. Ha, trying to get this kid eating everything we do!

Also I should point out he has been practicing standing on his own without support this week. Developmental milestones always disrupt his sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*garsmum View Post
    Also I should point out he has been practicing standing on his own without support this week. Developmental milestones always disrupt his sleep.
    This! I vote this as the cause. My daughter's sleep is always the worst when a new skill is being learned. Their brains just do not want to turn off!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm always one-handed on a smartphone, either using the forums while pumping, or while a baby is sleeping on me.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sonogirl View Post
    This! I vote this as the cause. My daughter's sleep is always the worst when a new skill is being learned. Their brains just do not want to turn off!
    Haha I bet you're right.

Update: we had a good night's sleep last night! We never went to the doctor, and it sounds like it was just a cold tapering off as now it has turned into a cough which is really minor. He didn't sleep all the way through but very well close to it, which is a dramatic improvement. He isn't night weaned, but more often than not we can make 6 hour stretches of sleep. Ahhhhh....rested.
    We , , , and with my little monkey, born 9/30/2012.

Awesome news!