Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emotional....

Default Re: Emotional....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    Yes pumping alone can help supply when baby doesn't nurse. Relaxing will help but it can be hard to not worry about supply! yes relax and pray about it. Do you have a nice pumping routine where you can look at pics of your baby, relax, visualize the milk flowing? It is so mental!
    Yes I do have pics on my phone that I look at, it helps the most I think.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hranee View Post
    I am trying to get at least 6 pumpings in a day and I just started setting my alarm for one middle of the night pump. I would like to not only maintain but to increase if possible.
    This might be a little on the low side. It depends on storage capacity but typically moms need at least 8 pumping sessions a day to maintain supply - again, for any individual mom it may be more or less, but I agree with your plan to add in a pumping session. Though I feel for you - getting up in the middle of the night to pump is not easy!

I answered on the other thread but it doesn't seem like anyone has said this yet so I will say it here....Striking babies are making a conscious choice NOT to nurse while awake. But most babies will instinctively still suck in their sleep. So as long as your child is still taking two naps a day and you nurse once in the middle of the night, you should be able to get in 7 nursing sessions in a 24hour period . Which at 10 months old if you are diligently experimenting and creating routine around solids should be enough. So if your child is refusing while you are getting them to sleep, slip your breast in his mouth AFTER he falls asleep. Same thing when he naps. And then go pop your boob in mid nap. And always always try right when he wakes. I have known people here who have survived strikes MONTHS long. With no supplementation. Strikes are not the end of the world and they don't have to mean the end of your nursing relationship. You do however have to know to nurse while the child is sleeping. And I don't see that anyone has said that to you on either thread. It's the crucial piece in terms of surviving IME.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    I answered on the other thread but it doesn't seem like anyone has said this yet so I will say it here....Striking babies are making a conscious choice NOT to nurse while awake. But most babies will instinctively still suck in their sleep. So as long as your child is still taking two naps a day and you nurse once in the middle of the night, you should be able to get in 7 nursing sessions in a 24hour period . Which at 10 months old if you are diligently experimenting and creating routine around solids should be enough. So if your child is refusing while you are getting them to sleep, slip your breast in his mouth AFTER he falls asleep. Same thing when he naps. And then go pop your boob in mid nap. And always always try right when he wakes. I have known people here who have survived strikes MONTHS long. With no supplementation. Strikes are not the end of the world and they don't have to mean the end of your nursing relationship. You do however have to know to nurse while the child is sleeping. And I don't see that anyone has said that to you on either thread. It's the crucial piece in terms of surviving IME.
    I totally agree with this. My baby actively refused to nurse while awake most time until she was like 8 months old. She would nurse in her sleep no problem whatsoever. The two feedings per day that she was awake were a constant struggle. The other 6+ times she was asleep or exhausted (going to sleep). If not for the sleep/nursing connection I have no doubt in my mind that she would not be nursing today. (she's almost 1). Until she was about 8 months she would only nurse lying down with me. EVER. Anyway, there is hope! Babies change all the time, constantly. One day soon things might turn around for you, but I know how awful that rejection feels.
    Last edited by @llli*karrieperry; November 21st, 2013 at 12:20 PM.
    and Mama to two little girls

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Great info!.....I will give it a try, the hard part is finding a way to do it since he sleeps in his crib

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*karrieperry View Post
    I totally agree with this. My baby actively refused to nurse while awake most time until she was like 8 months old. She would nurse in her sleep no problem whatsoever. The two feedings per day that she was awake were a constant struggle. The other 6+ times she was asleep or exhausted (going to sleep). If not for the sleep/nursing connection I have no doubt in my mind that she would not be nursing today. (she's almost 1). Until she was about 8 months she would only nurse lying down with me. EVER. Anyway, there is hope! Babies change all the time, constantly. One day soon things might turn around for you, but I know how awful that rejection feels.
    Thank you for the encouragement! Such an amazing personal experience.

That is around when my baby turned around too, we had issues beyond striking so I had to pump anyway but it was so nice when she'd nurse fully awake again! She wasn't thrilled about weaning aft6er 3 yrs but I really encouraged it due to recurrnt miscarriages and infertility issues.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.