Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Areola Oddities...

Red face Areola Oddities...

I have noticed some strange things about my areolas. I was wondering if anyone else has seen/heard of/had these things too.

First of all, there are kind of... Areola "pimples"
    They aren't swollen, red or painful, but there pores in my areolas seem to fill with white stuff and then surface, where I can squeeze it out! Gross I know, but what is it? Milk residue, actual zits, what? Does anybody know?

The second strange thing I noticed, was that milk beads out of my areola in two spots! It's even sprayed from it once when I was hand-expressing! Is it normal to have an opening or two at the BASE of the nipple, rather than on the tip?!

TIA.....

Default Re: Areola Oddities...

I can't really give any technical information on the subject, but I know that the bumps on the areola are oil glands that become larger and produce extra oil to lubricate the area in BFing mothers. So it's normal for them to appear larger and to excrete fluid. I've never tried to squeeze one out, though. Does that hurt?
    Also, it is normal to have milk duct openings on the areola, not just on the tip of the nipple. I have one or two (in addition to several on the nipple itself). I remember when my sisters (no kids) first saw me pump, they were shocked that there was more than one stream of milk coming out of my nipple!
    There is such a thing as a "milk bleb" which occurs when the tip of a duct opening becomes clogged with milk-these are almost always extremely painful though. I just had one, so I know.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I knew that many streams were supposed to come out, but I thought the only openeings were on the nipple's tip. I wasn't sure if I should have any holes in my areola!

The oil glands make sense, except the only reason I ever tried to squeeze any is because they get little white-heads on them that empty like pimples. They don't hurt though.

I have those little white ones too...and actually have had them since the first baby...they never went away!

My question about areolas is did anyones get lighter? I know it's odd, but while I was pg they became much darker. After birth they became almost translucent. Just pinker than the color of my skin. I assumed it was because of the pain meds because my lips were pale too, but I stoped taking those 2+ months ago. Doctor didn't seem worried, but didn't have any insight either.

My skin is very light, I never even got the linea nigra.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Quote Originally Posted by Collinsmommy View Post
    I have those little white ones too...and actually have had them since the first baby...they never went away!
    Hmm I first noticed them in pregnancy but they are worse now. I wonder what they are, and if mine will ever go away!

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingPrisms View Post
    My question about areolas is did anyones get lighter?
    My nipples/areolas turned brown when I got pregnant, and then DARK brown when I started breastfeeding. They have stayed this way! Very dark and very large. I still have the dark brown line down my belly too, and DD is almost 3 months old!

my nipples have gotten very light, too. glad to know I'm not the only one!
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

The bumps on the areolas are called Montgomery's Tubercles or Montgomery's Glands. Their job is to secrete an antibacterial substance that cleans and lubricates the area. They can become clogged occasionally. They're completely normal

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!