Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeling drained/wiped out nursing

Default Feeling drained/wiped out nursing

My daughter (11 months) nurses a lot, which is great, and it's significantly more than when she was a newborn and even most of her infancy. This increase has been for a month or two. I notice that I feel really wiped out when she has intense nursing days. My sleep is the same, my diet is the same (same foods, healthy foods, vitamins, etc), fluid intake is the same. I am a very consistent person so the only thing that seems to be different is the amount of nursing. We bedshare, take naps together when we can, etc. Anyone else feel really drained on intense days like that? I don't want to say no to her at this point, trying to think of ways I could improve on feeling so wiped! Maybe I'm just imagining that nursing is the cause?

Maybe I need to eat more? Drink more? I have lost a lot of weight from nursing, but I feel like I'm probably eating enough.

She is normal in weight and development, well she's a large baby but I don't think that factors in. She eats solids, small amounts but healthy foods, she self feeds for all her meals.
    Last edited by @llli*karrieperry; November 16th, 2013 at 06:33 PM.
    and Mama to two little girls

Default Re: Feeling drained/wiped out nursing

I feel that way sometimes too. I will be interested in what others say.
    Could it be iron or vitamin D? I take my prenatals, but sometimes wonder. I'm in New England so I know I'm not getting sun as I was last season.

One day as I mentioned I was feeling completely depleted and run down my sister reminded me how critical good fats are for our brain function. I realized I had been without some of my standard daily fats for at least a few weeks: avocado, fatty salmon, macadamia nuts. I resumed my daily intake of good fats and felt better. Sometimes when overnight nursing is seemingly constant I wake up starving. When it's between midnight and 5A that really sucks.

I mention the fats in particular because I believe you and I are similar in approach to nutrition. No grains, sugar. So we have to find good ways to fuel our bodies and brain
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*debbers View Post
    One day as I mentioned I was feeling completely depleted and run down my sister reminded me how critical good fats are for our brain function. I realized I had been without some of my standard daily fats for at least a few weeks: avocado, fatty salmon, macadamia nuts. I resumed my daily intake of good fats and felt better. Sometimes when overnight nursing is seemingly constant I wake up starving. When it's between midnight and 5A that really sucks.

I mention the fats in particular because I believe you and I are similar in approach to nutrition. No grains, sugar. So we have to find good ways to fuel our bodies and brain
    Thanks, I do try to take cod liver oil 5x per week, it's got like 500-600mg DHA per serving so I think I'm okay there. I'm actually feeling better today, I think sometimes I don't snack enough so I tried to eat a lot of small meals today and felt better. I should probably eat more unsaturated fats though, that's a good point.
    and Mama to two little girls