Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: beginning to pump

Default beginning to pump

Hello mammas!! So i am to begin pumping next week per the consultant i see. She told me to start pumping just once a day and use that for one feeding a day so that i can get my little one introduced to a bottle. She advised a slow flow nipple as well. She said to start on dec 27th but i personally think i would feel better to do it a few days earlier just to be on the safe side. I go back to work jan 5th and am supposed to pump 3 times a day so that he will have a continuing supply at the sitter. She also said to send 18-20oz with him to be on the safe side since he is eating about every hour to hour 1/2. Im hoping that it wont be too stressful on him introducing a bottle. Thats my biggest worry. Any tips or suggestions?

Default Re: beginning to pump

Print out some information on paced bottle feeding (http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/) and discuss paced feeding with the babysitter.

Send lots of small bottles (think a mix of 1-3 oz portions) rather than a few large ones (this reduces overfeeding and forces the caregiver to pause the feeding even if she wasn't going to).

Stick to the standard of sending about 1.5 oz of milk per hour of separation. 18-20 oz is on the high side, unless you intend to be gone for about 12-13 hours. It's fine to send some extra milk- some days your child will probably eat more than the 1.5 oz/hour standard, particularly during growth spurts. But IMO you want to start the caregiver out with a more typical amount and send the extra frozen, so that it takes effort to go get more.

Babies often resist taking bottles from mom. Why would they want a silicone nipple when they know mom has the real thing just millimeters away, right? So it may help to have dad or some other caregiver offer that first bottle.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: beginning to pump

Just the info i was wanting! Yes ive read about having dad give the bottle. Plus it lets them bond. Yes i will print those out and give to her. She has been a sitter for 10 yrs and i have known her for a lifetime so im hoping she has had some babies she has pace fed but we will see! I work 3 days a week from 745-630 twice a week then 645-530 give or take the 30 mins at the end of the day. Just depends on how slammed we were that day. I am going to go today to get some bags and i think shields? The things that i attach to me to pump. Lol i have to get a bigger size evidently..