Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing more often but pumping less

Default Nursing more often but pumping less

Recently my LO has begun nursing at night and closer to the time I leave for work in the morning. This has caused the amount i am able to pump to decrease. She is still taking the same amount at daycare just eating more often. Has anyone ever experienced this? Does it take time for my supply to reboot. It has been like this for 2 weeks.

Default Re: Nursing more often but pumping less

It does take time for supply to respond to increased demand. But I wouldn't blame your baby's new nighttime pattern for the decrease in pump amounts during the day. Pumping isn't as good at maintaining supply as babies are, and when a working mom sees her pump output slump, it's the pump and pumping that's most likely to blame, not the baby. If you can, try to embrace the night-nursing. More nursing = better supply, in the long run.

ETA: how much milk is baby taking at work, and what sort of amounts are you getting when you pump?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks. Baby is taking 2-4oz bottles and 1-2.5 ounce bottle and is at daycare about 9-10 hours a day. I use to pump between 2.5 to 3 oz. total double pumping for about 20 minutes during my two work sessions and about an ounce to and from work. Now, I am pumping about 1.5 oz during my two work sessions and barely anything to and from work. I added a morning pump session so my daily total is liek 6 ounces. I stopped taking fenugreek/blessed thistle a few weeks ago, so I have added that back to the mix. Is it true some women experience a drop at the 4 month mark? We just hit that a week ago.

I think two things could be happening. One, you said you just hit the 4 month mark -- that's about the time that most EBF moms/babies see a sync up between supply and demand. So whereas your body may have been producing a little "extra" up until now (nature's way of providing some insurance that baby gets enough to eat), now your body is responding and adapting to your baby's intake, and making juuuust the amount that baby needs. I definitely experienced this -- it's just more noticeable when you're pumping because you have ounce markings as feedback (whereas if you were exclusively nursing, you would only have your body's cues to go on, which for me was my breast size going down very slightly & breasts feeling a little softer, etc.)

The other thing that could help is changing out your pump parts. Specifically, new membranes (they do need to be replaced every 3 mos or so if your pump gets regular use -- as they wear out, the suction weakens, but this isn't usually visible to the naked eye). And sometimes even valves and connectors can wear out, because if the connections aren't tightly sealing, then it will lower output.