Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back to Work - Feeding Help

Default Back to Work - Feeding Help

I have to return to work at the end of January and am looking for some advice for transition to partial breastfeeding. Would like to keep feeding at night.

My 8 month old has been eating solids like a champ for the past 2 months. We still breastfeed for naps (2 x a day), for bedtime, and the occasional night wake-up.

Unfortunately, I am not in a job where I will be able to pump so will have to transition to formula until he is 12 months and can go onto milk. This will be a short 2-3 months on formula. Or if he is still getting BF night / morning wake-up can he just have solids during day?

- Currently, I feed LO before he goes does for nap. I do not nap him to sleep, but until drowsy. Should I sub this feed w/ formula bottle? Or change routine and adapt to being put down without feeding?

- what is the best way to transition from BF to Formula?

- what is your feeding schedule once of formula while still keeping BF at night?

Thanks for any advice!

Default Re: Back to Work - Feeding Help

Welcome to the forum!

First, can you tell us what line of work you're in, and why it's not possible to pump on the job? There may be someone here who shares your situation, and can suggest ways to make pumping possible for you. I'm sure that sounds far-fetched but we have had that exact thing happen here before!

If baby will only nursed a few times a day, solids will not be sufficient to make up for the loss of breastmilk in his diet. Until a year, breastmilk or formula are supposed to be the baby's primary source of nutrition. It is much, much more difficult to give a baby the proper balance of nutrition (calcium, fat, protein, calories, etc.) with solids, especially when you consider how erratic babies' eating habits tend to be, when it comes to solids.

When you're weaning, you want to cut one feeding from your day (ideally, you cut the baby's least favored feeding) and replace it with a bottle of formula (or solids, in an older baby). You maintain the new pattern for several days, and then drop another feeding and replace that feeding with formula. You repeat the process until all the unwanted feedings are gone.

Unless your work schedule will accommodate you being with your baby at naptime, you will probably need to replace that feeding with a bottle, as well. Since that feeding is useful to you, I would keep it until you go back to work. Let your baby's daycare provider figure out how to get him to sleep using the bottle. Baby will not want to nurse when he's with the DCP- he knows that only you have that particular superpower.

A breastfeeding-supportive formula schedule is probably something you'll have to come up with on your own. If baby is getting so much formula that he doesn't want to nurse, you may need to reduce the amount he's getting in his bottles, or keep the last bottle small and a fairly long time before you and your baby are reunited.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Back to Work - Feeding Help

Hi Krissy81,

How long will the daily separation from baby be? Do you anticipate baby nursing more at night once you are back at work? or still only occasionally?

From your post, it sounds as if you are currently nursing baby 3 or 4 times a 24 hour day. Do I have that right? Ideally, it would be best if you could pump or hand express while you are at work. but if that is not a possibility, what if you moved your nursing routine around so you could nurse your baby the same amount of times per day-would that work? For example, instead of nursing for 2 naps, bedtime, and sometimes overnight, as baby does now, could you nurse in the morning before you leave for work, nurse baby as soon as you are home or pick baby up from daycare, nurse baby before you go to bed, and once overnight?

This way, you are not faced with trying to reduce your milk production/nursing frequency prior to or after returning to work, which of course has several drawbacks.

As far as bottles- whether they have breastmilk or formula in them, it is suggested that baby be cue fed and paced bottle feeding technique used. Together these allow baby to have more control when being bottle fed which will help prevent over (or under) feeding.

Paced bottle feeding

-bottle feeding the breastfed baby
    Information sheet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs (Don’t worry about what she says about time between feeds- typically, best to cue feed whether nursing or bottles.)