Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too late to start breastfeeding at 6 weeks?

Default Too late to start breastfeeding at 6 weeks?

My baby is 6 weeks old. I attempted breastfeeding at birth for about a week, but since i have inverted nipples it was very hard and frusterating which lead me to pumping instead. now i find i dont have time to pump since he is a high demand baby... and my milk supply has gone down sufficiently. so i turned to formula. he maybe gets one bottle of breastmilk a day....

i feel guilty like i didnt give it a good enough try... is it at all possible to start up again???? or did i miss the boat?

Default Re: Too late to start breastfeeding at 6 weeks?

Welcome to the forum!

It's definitely not too late to try breastfeeding. It is always possible to increase milk supply, and it is often (but not always) possible to get a baby back to the breast after weaning to a bottle.

This link explains how to get a baby back to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/. The skin-to-skin and instant reward techniques are supposed to be particularly helpful.

What sort of pump do you have?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"