Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing before solids?

Default Nursing before solids?

My baby is 11 months, and right now we nurse before solids. I notice when I'm not as diligent about nursing first, she eats more solids. She's self fed so it's not a huge amount of food, but when she's hungry she'll definitely eat solids. When we nurse first, she barely touches her food! Even if it's something she loves. I know that's fine, but in a month do I start offering solids first? Or is it still my choice when she's a year old? She nursing eagerly and happily at this point and I don't want to mess that up, just wondering when the shift starts to happen after the first year is over. She gets offered healthy solids 3x per day now, with an occasional snack (food that she didn't eat from a previous meal). She nurses 10-12x per day, that's a guess, I don't even count any more because I think she's hitting that "nursing like a newborn" toddler stage a bit early. She's been walking well for a month so I think she needs a break from life.
    and Mama to two little girls

Default Re: Nursing before solids?

Congrats on nearing the 1 year mark! Once your baby is 12 months, it is up to you how you manage the nursing/solids balance. You can choose to continue to nurse before solids, which will continue to maximize your baby's milk intake- which is a really good thing! Or you can change things around and offer solids before nursing, which may increase the amount of solid food she eats and also decrease the amount she nurses. Or you can sometimes offer solids first, and sometimes nurse first, depending on what is convenient at the moment.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Congrats on nearing the 1 year mark! Once your baby is 12 months, it is up to you how you manage the nursing/solids balance. You can choose to continue to nurse before solids, which will continue to maximize your baby's milk intake- which is a really good thing! Or you can change things around and offer solids before nursing, which may increase the amount of solid food she eats and also decrease the amount she nurses. Or you can sometimes offer solids first, and sometimes nurse first, depending on what is convenient at the moment.
    Thanks! It's so weird to go from the EBF stage to solids, to almost a year and supply not being so essential for survival, although it sort of is for her because she's not a huge solids eater. I think I'll just offer nursing first going forward until she doesn't want to, and leave it up to her.
    and Mama to two little girls

With my now 15 month old, I found it pretty inconvenient to nurse right before solids, because her solid meals are during family meals and I am preparing plates or cooking and then eating myself. But I did discover that she would often be thirsty and wanting to nurse right after eating solids.

Basically the recommendation about nursing before solids is due to the concern baby will fill up on solids. It's much more of an issue when solids are intentionally or too quickly replacing (rather than complementing) nursing at the breast, or if solids are being overly 'pushed' some how-like trying to make baby finish a whole jar of food etc. Your baby still nurses with nice frequency, I agree with mommal you can probably feel free to do as you & baby please.