Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fever, chills and body ache

Default Fever, chills and body ache

What could it be??

I have literally been no where in over a week and a half and no one has come for a visit here either....hubby and dd are both fine too.

The baby slept through the night for the first time last night and I woke up feeling great!! Super refreshed and then by 11:30 12:00 I was tired and freezing but it was 75 degrees in my house and I had a blanket and robe on! I went and took a hot shower and got the chills while in there

Took my temp and it was 99.1 then I took it again about 30 min later after taking 2 tylenol and it was 100.6. ugh.

I am pretty sure its not mastitis since I have no pain at all and no red marks on my breast either.

Anyone know what could be going on?

So sorry I posted this in the wrong area a minute ago...sorry for the double post

Default Re: Fever, chills and body ache

My guess is either flu, or mastitis. And it could be mastitis even without the breast pain, particularly because your baby just slept through the night. Mastitis often springs up when the breast isn't being emptied as much as usual. I would treat this as mastitis, since there's nothing wrong with that approach. Stay hydrated, get lots of rest, nurse as much as possible, vary your nursing positions, and pump if you feel that the baby isn't emptying the breast the way she should be. If you don't see improvement soon, or things get worse, see the doctor and consider some antibiotics.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Okay thanks...didn't know it could be mastitis without pain. Is it possible for it to be resolved without seeing a doc or getting antibiotics?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    My guess is either flu, or mastitis. And it could be mastitis even without the breast pain, particularly because your baby just slept through the night. Mastitis often springs up when the breast isn't being emptied as much as usual. I would treat this as mastitis, since there's nothing wrong with that approach. Stay hydrated, get lots of rest, nurse as much as possible, vary your nursing positions, and pump if you feel that the baby isn't emptying the breast the way she should be. If you don't see improvement soon, or things get worse, see the doctor and consider some antibiotics.

I had something like that for about 12 hrs and my LC did not think it was mastitis but just late hormonal changes. I had no treatment and no recurrence.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

oh wow okay thanks for letting me know Hopefully that is what is going on with me too!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    I had something like that for about 12 hrs and my LC did not think it was mastitis but just late hormonal changes. I had no treatment and no recurrence.

While it could be something else, Those are pretty classic signs of mastitis or some other infection. The long period with no milk removal, plus being run down ion general, is all it takes sometimes. So Keep an eye on it. There is some difference of opinion among breastfeeding professionals about whether mastitis can be resolved properly without abs. You CAN continue to nurse while getting ab treatment fyi.

here is a quick tip sheet, kellymom has a good article as well. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...atcanyoudo.pdf

I'm not a breastfeeding professional, but my personal experience is that mastitis can be resolved without antibiotics. I had one mild case of it and was able to beat it with frequent nursing and really complete breast emptying. It never recurred, so...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Just an update..My fever went away with the tylenol and I felt great until my husband came home at around midnight and I was freezing and had a fever again. I didn't take anything and by 3am it had come down on its own and I was burning up hot!! And I have not had anymore fever, just feel like I was hit by a truck! I am assuming that is from my body having a fever and fighting off whatever it is?!?!? The baby woke up a few times to eat last night too. Thanks for all of the help!!!

Just fyi, I am going to share what happened to me the first time I had mastitis. I felt great after taking a fever reducer and getting some rest. I felt so good my husband went out for the night for work when he could have cancelled. Then it came back, with a vengeance, I was alone with the kids and my fever came back and I could barely talk my teeth were chattering so bad. THEN, you bet, I went on the ab's.

I am not saying you need to take abs, mommal is certainly not alone with her experience. And if you have a flu virus, abs are useless of course. Just sharing my personal experience with mastitis. I do suggest, don't be fooled, you are still fighting whatever this is off. You want to keep resting and nursing baby alot and may need to consider abs if the fever comes back.