Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Excessive Vomiting

Default Excessive Vomiting

DS is 4 weeks old. He nursed like a pro from right after birth and we have had no problems so far. However, for the past week or so he has been spitting-up/vomiting a lot. To feed him I offer the first breast, when he finishes or falls asleep I change his diaper to wake him up and then offer the second breast, which he always takes even if just for a couple of minutes to help fall back to sleep. The problem is that while changing his nappy he vomits what seems like a lot of milk almost as soon as I lie him on the changing table. Ideally I would change his diaper before starting to feed him, while his stomach is empty. But this would mean that he would only nurse from one breast as 9.9 times out of 10 he is in a milk coma after the first breast and impossible to wake. Is it ok to just offer one breast per feeding (and then maybe hold him upright for 10-15 minutes)? Would it lead to him needing to nurse more often?
    His weight gain has been good so far (birth=3kg, 2 weeks=3.5kg, next weight check on friday). He does poo about 8 times per day and has plenty of wet diapers so I am confident that even with all the vomiting he is getting enough to eat.

Default Re: Excessive Vomiting

It sounds like the spitting up is really just a positioning problem. When the baby has a full tummy, laying him down means that gravity is no longer helping him keep his stomach contents down where they belong.

If you would rather change baby before feeding him, I think that is okay even if that means he nurses on just one breast per feeding. He's gaining fine and has plenty of diaper output, which suggests that he's getting plenty of milk. With a baby who is gaining normally, you can take a "finish the first breast first" approach. Instead of trying to get the baby to take both breasts at every feeding, you allow the baby to take the first breast at his own pace. Then you offer the second breast, and the baby can take it, or not, as he desires. Just watch his diaper output and weight gain- if they aren't what they should be, you would want to go back to making sure baby takes both breasts at a feeding.

Spitting up in an otherwise healthy, happy, growing baby, it's a laundry problem, not a health problem. Just make sure you swab out baby's neck folds with a washcloth or something- the spit-up can get caught in there and fester and cause a lot of skin irritation.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My son only ever ate from one breast per feeding during his entire nursing career. When I tried to force the second breast he would end up spitting up a bunch anyway, so I stopped.

I am no expert, but if he is gaining okay, by the time he is 4 weeks old I would let him sleep when he falls asleep.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

April 2014

I agree with both mommal and sassypants. See what happens if you try holding baby more or less upright (head above tummy) for a little bit after he is done with the first breast and if he is alseep, let him stay asleep, maybe snuggled on your chest, again, head above tummy. Then when he wakes or indicates he wants to nurse again, you can offer the other side first. If YOU are full and uncomfortable if he only nurses from one side at a time, or there is some other concern, please let us know.

So I started changing DS's diaper before feeding him and only offering the second breast if he is still awake after finishing the first and then holding him upright for about 15 minutes after eating. The spitting up reduced dramatically. He still spits up a little when I lay him down to change him but nothing like the quantity before. At his weight check on Friday he was up to 4kgs so he is gaining well. But...he hasn't done a poo in the last 48 hours. For a baby that was going 8 times a day this is unusual. He still has plenty of wet diapers but he is constantly doing really smelly farts but with no poo. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort but is feeding more often. Could the change in poo habits be related to only offering one breast?? I am considering reverting to our old feeding routine.

Sure, the change in habits could be related to offering just one side. But it's also not uncommon for babies to skip a day here and there. I would give it another day or two, and see if baby poops again. If he resumes more frequent pooping, then no worries. If he doesn't, then maybe you want to experiment with going back to your original feeding strategy.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"