Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Long feeds...I'm exhausted! :(

Default Long feeds...I'm exhausted! :(

Hi ladies, I have a 3 week old daughter and I'm exclusively on BF. She latches ok most of the time, but there are times that feeding become a real challenge! Sometimes she lathes on my breasts for a very long time, not gulping but still sucking. She ends up sleeping, which makes me assume she had enough milk so I put her in her bassinet, but then she gets fussy again and wants more milk! The whole process takes 1,5-2 hour sometimes.

Is there a way I could make her latch more efficiently?

I'm exhausted from last night and it's getting really hard!!

Default Re: Long feeds...I'm exhausted! :(

Welcome to the forum!

Long and frequent feedings are very normal at this age. A lot of babies go through a huge growth spurt at around 3 weeks, during which they feed a lot more frequently.

Is your baby falling asleep very quickly while nursing? If so, let us know- the are some tricks you can do to wake a sleepy baby and get her to nurse more efficiently.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Long feeds...I'm exhausted! :(

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...e=vid-nibbling helped me, and this too, http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...vid-reallygood
    Just being on breast doesn't mean baby is getting much or anything. But like mommal said, there are things you can do to help baby get more milk, I use compressions when baby slows down and switch sides when they start "nibbling."
    Last edited by @llli*krystine; November 10th, 2013 at 12:09 PM.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.