Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help!! I'm about to just stop

Default Please help!! I'm about to just stop

I can't do this anymore! All she does is refuse to nurse. I'm a wreck idk what to do. We have been supplementing with formula because I can't pump and she needs the extra calories. But theist few days she just doesn't want to nurse at all. Please what can I do??

Default Re: Please help!! I'm about to just stop

have you called your lactation consultant? or a new one, an IBCLC?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Yes I don't see her until Monday. I really feel like its because my period is back. But what am I suppose to do that week. I've been doing everything I can think of to make this work. I've tried so hard. I think because she is such a peanut it just takes a lot for her to nurse an that's why she is alset with it. It's just depressing that my baby doesn't want to nurse

How old is your baby? Can you list what you have actually done? I don't want to be redundant.

Way too lazy for formula

can you call your LC today and have a phone consult?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

She is 3 months old. Ive tried pumping before and/or after feedings, breast massage, I e taken fenugreek until I've smelled like mrs. Buttersworth. Drinking plenty of fluid. How else to I get milk from pumping? I think it's been worse theist few days because my period I just don't know what else to do.

Hi there, Sounds very stressful.. I wonder would it be any good to try and lie in bed with your little one and feed lying down? Maybe you've tried that, or different positions? Maybe stay in the bed with her - she might be more likely to feed if she's together with you for a while. But don't panic if it doesnt work. Can you manually express some milk to keep the supply going? You can do that by using your hand to gently put presure on the breast and then very gently squeezing the areola. You can find instructions on how to do that on the internet. Or else a pump? I used a manual pump and found it a lot easier than the electric versions but to be honest i didn't like pumping. Are you engorged or anything? Is the baby able to latch on ? Sometimes engorgement can make it difficult for the little on to latch? NOt sure if thats much help, best of luck, O

how long have you been giving formula and how often. give a breakdown of your nursing schedule and how/why you are supplementing. then we can work from there.

We started supplementing 2 oz of formula after every other feeding. When she was nursing for 40 minutes. Then we did 20 minutes of nursing and 1 oz every feeding. But not we are up to 2 oz an she's only nursing 10 minutes. Every 2 hrs. We started supplementing because she wasn't gaining enough weight

Your supposed to smell like syrup. That is normal. If you don't smell like syrup you aren't taking enough. And you need to be pumping 10-12 times in a 24hour period. That is how you are going get your milk to increase. The issue with formula is that it takes longer to digest because it's harder on their system and so usually a child who is being topped off in the way you describe end up demanding less milk so your supply goes down instead of up. Because it's all supply and demand and now your baby is demanding less. And the less your baby demands milk the less you make and the more formula you feed and down the slope you go. So if you want to increase your supply and get your baby to wean off of the supplements. you need to pump AFTER every feed not before. Because you want your breast to get the que to make MORE milk then and then probably also when your child naps. 10-12 time in a 24hour period. After you see an increase in supply we can talk about a nursing vacation. But your supply is being damaged by your increase in supplements. Not your period. So power through. Increase your pumpings, be diligent and consistent and in a weeks time you should see an increase. When you do we can then talk about pulling back the supplement amounts and then a nursing vacation. Good luck.

Way too lazy for formula