Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: one duct producing yogurt. any ideas?

Default one duct producing yogurt. any ideas?

Hi everyone. I'm sorry if this is a bit gross. I am nursing an 11-month-old and have been troubled by clogged ducts since he was born. I thought I had gotten pretty good at clearing clogs--heat, massage, lots of nursing/pumping, removing blebs when they became available. I also think that by this point my body has gotten good at clearing them (or that is my perception) when they happen. I had two bouts of mastitis early on, and I know that what is happening now is not that (at least not yet). So yesterday I got a pretty bad clogged duct after pushing the limit of time I could be away from my pump (I always bring my pump with me, but yesterday I forgot it). By the time I got home it had started, and really "established" itself as a properly clogged duct while I was pumping. I kept thinking that I saw a bleb last night, but when I would try to remove it, it would disappear. At 2 a.m. I finally gave up and went to bed with a hot water bottle, knowing that ds would be along within the hour wanting to nurse. He nursed for hours, yet the clog was still there this morning. Around 11 a.m. I finally cleared it, but it was strange, like the bleb was still half-covering the duct. Afterward, my breast still felt like it was a bit full. Luckily, I have been home with the kids today, and for the past four hours I have been constantly hand-expressing that breast, trying to get the duct that was clogged to work again. When I do so, I only get a weird combination of milk and solid, like I am producing yogurt out of that duct. Though I know it will probably clear on its own if I keep tending it, I find it alarming. Milk will spray from the other ducts, but that one only spurts a bit of stuff that I can scrape off with my finger. My husband (who is not any kind of expert) thinks it is because my milk is very fatty. He says that there is just a backup of fat and that I need to just keep hand-expressing it until it is gone. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this before? I am worried that it will just keep clogging up because of the consistency in there.

Default Re: one duct producing yogurt. any ideas?

I think your husband is correct that this is normal. All breast milk has fat in it of course, so the issue may not be your personal milk fat content only, but some combination of your milk fat content and the size of your milk ducts, and of course you recognize the contributing factor of infrequent milk removal.

But I think what you are seeing sounds normal when clearing a bad/longer lasting plug, as plugs are caused by the milk fat building up in the duct. The longer the duct is plugged, the more fat gets 'stuck, and what you describe sounds normal to me in that case. Also, it would be fine to let baby nurse in that side in case you are not doing that.

Have you tried diet changes or taking lecithin to try to prevent reoccurrence of plugs? more here: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf

Default Re: one duct producing yogurt. any ideas?

Thanks! I feel much better since reading this. I suppose I thought I had "seen it all" by 11 months, and I was worried that this was something that would not go away. At 10 p.m. it still isn't totally gone, but a few hours ago I thought about how when I put a collection bottle in the warmer, comes out with all the fat dissolved. I took a really hot shower and hand-expressed while I was under the water. It didn't change things immediately but after I got out I felt better, and from then on it has kept getting better.

I had never heard of taking lecithin before--thank you so much! I learn so much from these forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    I think your husband is correct that this is normal. All breast milk has fat in it of course, so the issue may not be your personal milk fat content only, but some combination of your milk fat content and the size of your milk ducts, and of course you recognize the contributing factor of infrequent milk removal.

But I think what you are seeing sounds normal when clearing a bad/longer lasting plug, as plugs are caused by the milk fat building up in the duct. The longer the duct is plugged, the more fat gets 'stuck, and what you describe sounds normal to me in that case. Also, it would be fine to let baby nurse in that side in case you are not doing that.

Have you tried diet changes or taking lecithin to try to prevent reoccurrence of plugs? more here: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf