Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

View Poll Results: When did your period return post-partum?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-6 months

1 7.69%
  • 6-12 months

6 46.15%
  • 12-18 months

2 15.38%
  • 18-24 months

2 15.38%
  • 24+ months

2 15.38%

Thread: When will it return? No period 15-months postpartum

Default When will it return? No period 15-months postpartum

Hi all -

Well I never thought that I would actually MISS my period, but now that it's been almost two years since I've had one, I'm starting to wonder/worry about when it will return. I know that some women can go almost two years before it returns, but given the fact that my mom almost always saw the return of hers within 6 months - even when breastfeeding - I think I thought the same would be true for me, too.

The other complicating factor is that we're hoping to start trying to get pregnant again fairly soon here. I know that you don't have to have a period in order to get pregnant, and I have actually had a fair bit of cervical mucus (more than I used to have, and on and off throughout the month) and cramping at times (sorry if that's TMI), but no actual period yet. My daughter - who is 15-months-old - does still nurse in the morning and after work, and then pretty much all through the night - we still co-sleep. It actually seems like the night nursing is important for us, since I work and am away from her during the day, so I don't just want to cut her off...

So, just wondering: is this normal? For those of you who have been here/done this before, how long did it take your period to return? Thanks for your help!

Default Re: When will it return? No period 15-months postpartum

Have you tried acupuncture? I have heard from other moms that it helped re-establish a full cycle. It may be you are almost ovulating, but just not bleeding. I have been getting cramps every month with no bleeding (and I'm not pregnant since I rarely have sex, sadly ) I am 13 months postpartum with no menstruation. I also took about 12 weeks to stop with the postpartum bleeding/lochia.

My period returned at 15.5 months postpartum with both girls, which happens to be the average for a breastfeeding mom. So you're really not in any way outside the norm, when it comes to your period.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It was different for my two kids, my second it was 24 months, but I already voted 18 months for after number one.

I'm approaching 25 months PP with no period with DS. We still nurse ~10-12 times per day on demand, with ~3 night nursings. He's not a big solids eater at all some days; others he'll eat a 3oz steak in one sitting with a cup of fruit!

Thanks for the responses and the votes in the poll. I hadn't realized that 15.5 months was the average. I guess many of my fellow moms have weaned on purpose at an earlier age -- many around 6 months or a year -- so their periods came back a bit earlier. Thanks for the encouragement. Sometimes it's just nice to feel "normal"!

16 months and AF is still MIA! My gyno gave me an order for blood tests to check hormone levels, as a "just in case" thing. I'm almost 39 and want to ttc again but I've come around to the idea that my body is not ovulating again for a reason. There's a good lll article on this subject: http://www.lalecheleague.org/nb/nbsepoct06p196.html
    Mama to a sweet kitty born July 2012.

16 months pp and mine hasn't returned. Still nursing. I'm 44 and hoping I don't go straight to menopause! But I don't miss having my cycle at all.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12