Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: best breastfeeding position for 4 month old baby

Default best breastfeeding position for 4 month old baby

hello! i am currently trying to get my four month old baby girl back to the breast. i have been working with her for a week as of today and we have celebrated small victories every day. i am having a problem though feeling comfortable while trying to encourage her to nurse. i am trying the positions that were originally shown to me in the hospital when she was a newborn and she seems to hate being cradled and does not appreciate her neck being supported which cause her to arch her back away from me. are there different positions that are more appropriate for nursing an older baby that may help me make this transition better?? help! we are getting so so close!

Default Re: best breastfeeding position for 4 month old baby

I think that with a 4 month old, you experiment and see what she likes best. There's no one position that all babies like, YK? But I also think that you might want to do a google image search for "reclined nursing position" and take a look at some of those options. For example, this one: http://www.llli.org/images/000000000...astfeeding.jpg.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

This is about the age my son was when he started to really prefer the side-lying position. Prior to 3 months I couldn't get him to do that at all, but now it's almost the only position he will nurse in, and it's how we co-sleep and BF every night. I think he can get himself into a more comfortable position if he's just lying next to me, rather than me trying to contain him in my lap. Good luck and keep hanging in there!

my LO is now 4 mos, also refuses sometimes to nurse at cradle position. so i tried side lying position and she enjoys it. it was really upsetting at first beacause i thought that she doesn't like my milk anymore but i found out that she still prefers my milk than her formula but demands a comfortable position.

My DS is just about 4 months and will only nurse in the side-lying position! Up until side-lying became his favorite, I nursed him on a nursing pillow using cross-cradle. Side-lying is great, but sometimes I wish he would nurse in cradle because it seems so convenient!