Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: upper lip tie

Default upper lip tie

Seems like I have a new question/problem every week, so thank you so much to everyone helping me out!

I was reading up on lip ties and in my uninformed opinion, my son (3 months) may have a fairly significant one. Nursing is going fine -- he's gaining, no pain, etc. Though his upper lip curls in a little, it hasn't presented a problem. But his stomach is constantly rumbling, sounds like a lot of air in there, and he often seems uncomfortable and fussy. (Although I know, that's babies for ya! )

On top of possible discomfort due to excess air intake, I read that lip ties can lead to speech and orthodontic problems. However, since nursing is working, I don't want to mess with success.

Any thoughts? Does anyone have experience in having a lip tie lasered in a non-newborn? I'll talk to my pediatrician, but want to go into the conversation somewhat informed. Thank you!

Default Re: upper lip tie

I'd only want to have it lasered if it was causing nursing problems. A lot of ties stretch out with time. So I'd wait. If you see a big gap between your kid's front teeth, when they come in, or his speech seems to be affected, then maybe I'd do something.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Makes sense. Thanks for your thoughts!

we just got a tongue tied fixed and my baby stopped nursing at 8 days old...at one month she is finally coming back to thebreast slowly. We had an appointement with a dentist for an upper lip tied in a week i cancelled it. Cause i didn't want to mess with breastfeeding once again....we'll deal with a gap later i figured.
    Good luck mama
    first time mama to a gassy but adorable baby named Makayla- Wouldn't give up breasfeeding for anything in the world.

We co-sleep, we love and

oh no... I'm glad she's coming back to the breast now! That's what I'm afraid of (a nursing strike) so it's probably best to just wait and see. Thanks so much.

Lip ties have to be pretty severe to warrant clipping, I'm pretty sure. I'm a speech-language pathologist and while, yes, lip/tongue ties can cause speech problems, they have to be significant to restrict movement quite a bit. My 3 living kids all have tongue or lip tie, my 4 yr old had her TT clipped at 6 wks and it didn't improve her nursing. My 3 mo old twins are doing OK because theirs stretch enough although my smaller baby is a little more restricted and doesn't nurse quite as well as his "big" brother. All that to say they're pretty common and I wouldn't worry about it unless it was fairly severe, but you'll get a range of opinions about ties.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.