Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm at SUCH a loss, I feel like I'm failing my baby :(

Default Re: I'm at SUCH a loss, I feel like I'm failing my baby :(

We did several weigh and feeds and figured she is getting 2-3 oz from me. She needs more calories so we supplemented with an oz of formula after nursing because I don't get milk when pumping. The last 2 days she has gone from 20 minutes of nursing to 10 and she pushes away and wants NOTHING to do with me. Idk what to do!?!?

Pumping is not a good indicator of supply. Your baby is transferring milk very well. If you need to top off with formula then try it at breast.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

We did several weigh and feeds and figured she is getting 2-3 oz from me. She needs more calories so we supplemented with an oz of formula after nursing because I don't get milk when pumping. The last 2 days she has gone from 20 minutes of nursing to 10 and she pushes away and wants NOTHING to do with me. Idk what to do!?!?
    You did before and after nursing weight checks and baby transfers 2-3 ounces? Who told you that is not enough? That is enough, or certainly can be, assuming baby nurses often enough.

I told you in my last post a few minutes ago what I think MAY be happening based on what you have posted here. IN a nutshell, I suspect it is possibly that your baby WAS getting enough to eat. So supplementing with the formula is making baby less eager to nurse because your baby is not hungry.

But I am confused, You said before that supplementing one ounce per feeding "was working" but now your doctor has said "supplement all baby wants." What was working and Why the change?

There are many ways to help a baby get more at the breast at a feeding, and also, to increase production if that is needed. It does not sound like it IS needed, but anyway- my point is, I am confised why supplementing is the answer if your milk production and intake is normal. I do not know what you have tried as far as that goes, prior to supplementing. But if at this point baby is starting to push you away, I think the possibility baby is being oversupplemened must be considered. At least, I suggest, discuss this possibility with your pediatrician or your LC.

i'm curious where your LC is in all of this. it sounds like you have a lot of questions that any basic LC consultation should address. so have you been oover this with her and you still have questions? or did she fail to address these with you? either way i think you need to go talk to her again or find a new, better IBCLC who actually can help you sort through these issues. for example, an IBCLC should know and tell you that a 2-3 oz weigh-feed-weigh is pretty standard/good intake. and that pumping is a bad indicator of supply.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I see her again Monday and plan on discussing all of this I'm just antsy so I'm on here for now

Can you call or email her?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Okay, I was having some trouble following this, so I plugged all the numbers I could find into Kellymom's weight gain calculator.

Does this weight history look about right, summermomma719? How much does your baby weigh now?

Age in weeks Weight Average gained
    per week
    0 7 lbs 7 oz --
    1 6 lbs 11 oz -12 oz
    2 7 lbs 4 oz 9 oz
    5 8 lbs 5 oz 5.7 oz
    9 8 lbs 12 oz 1.8 oz
    12 9 lbs 4 oz 2.7 oz
    13 9 lbs 8 oz 4 oz
    Last edited by @llli*lllkaren; November 8th, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Last week she was 9lbs 4 oz this week 9lbs 7.5pz. I found out that the pediatrician is marking the wrong number for her weight. She has been marking down her weight right after feeds

I am confused, How is this wrong? What are you saying?