Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: poor milk supply at 3 mo & 3 weeks

Default poor milk supply at 3 mo & 3 weeks

hi moms out there. my LO is now 3 months & 3 weeks. since i go back to work 1 month ago i have to pump milk 3 times a day so that LO can be fed by breastmilk while im working. it was really a hard work since i can only pump 2-3 oz/ pump. sometimes caregiver must give 1 formula a day while im away. but last week i was having colds and i can really feel that my supply has gone. wearing mask, i really force my LO to nurse but she was not satisfied. since i dont want to take any meds i just took 2 gms of vit c a day til i was fine. now my supply is very low, only 1 oz per pump and bby doesnt want to nurse when she's so hungry or else she will ask formula after nursing.
    what will i do? i am really upset beacause i know my milk is what she needs and i want to give her the best. by the way my pump is manual. does electric pump can help this situation?

i will appreciate your comment on this post. thank you

Default Re: poor milk supply at 3 mo & 3 weeks

When a mom has trouble producing at work, she should do the following:
    1. Pump more often, if possible. You're already pumping pretty frequently at work, so you may want to add some pump sessions outside of work to make up for shortfalls.
    2. Use a better pump. A mom who is working longer than a couple of hours per day should be using a good double electric pump with correctly sized shields. Manual pumps are generally not the right machine for a working mom.
    3. Make sure the baby is being fed appropriate amounts at daycare. A breastfed baby should get about 1.5 oz of milk per hour of separation. If the baby is consistently getting significantly more than that, she's probably being overfed. Too much milk given at daycare puts a strain on mom in terms of pumping, and also decreases the baby's motivation to nurse when she's with you.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Did you wear a mask to nurse? Why?

Anyway, mommal has good pumping advice and daycare feeding advice. So I will talk about low production in general.

Many mothers think they do not have enough milk at about this age. it is so common, one pediatrician who writes about this calls it the "Crisis at three months." There is not really a crisis, in fact, milk production is usually totally fine. But mom THINKS something is wrong, gives baby supplements, and then there really IS a problem, becasue baby fills up on the supplements and no longer wants to nurse.

This article covers all the things moms think indicate low production, as well on tips on what to do if the issue really is low milk production, which I doubt. Milk production does not simply go away overnight for no reason. http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...es/low-supply/

Quick tips: If your baby appears unstisfied after eating, nurse again, don't supplement. Nurse lots when you are with baby, this will help your production overall. If baby does not want to nurse again, comfort baby another way.

Get a better pump if possible, definitely. And understand pump output goes up and down and can be normal. Many moms have to pump more than once to get enough for a feeding.

Ask your caregiver (and anyone else) to follow these guidelines when giving bottles: Paced bottle feeding

-bottle feeding the breastfed baby
    Information sheet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs
    (ignore what she says in video about meals every two-three hours. Baby can be cue fed as often as baby wishes as long as it is oftern enough, overall.

i appreciate all your comments here, thank you so much. yesterday i started pumping at work, got only 40ml, when i got home i nursed her on my right and pump on my left at the same time, at the end of my session i got 3 oz. enough for one feeding then go back to work again. i have to discipline my self not to give her formula while im home. last night i fed her with my breast alone, and my milk was licking i was wet ( so happy). got again 3 oz on my left breast while nursing on the right. i think its all in the mind, whenever i think my supply is low then my milk wont come out, and whenever i think i have much then i produce more.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mjtony View Post
    i have to discipline my self not to give her formula while im home.
    yes!

i think its all in the mind, whenever i think my supply is low then my milk wont come out, and whenever i think i have much then i produce more.
    yes, stress definitely inhibits milk release! hang in there.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.