Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 mo suddenly resisting bottle

Default 3 mo suddenly resisting bottle

My 3 mo nurses almost exclusively, but occasionally (once every week or two) gets a bottle of pumped milk when I have to be away from him. He had been doing fine with bottles up until this past weekend, when he outright refused to take one from my husband. He cried until I got home and nursed him. We tried a bottle again the next day, this time with freshly pumped milk and me out of the room, and he eventually drank a little, with much struggle.

Not sure if this is connected, but he used to love pacifiers for the store and walks, but now only uses them on occasion to fall asleep.

Weaning from the paci is definitely fine with me, but I'd like him to accept a bottle on occasion. Are we offering the bottle too infrequently? Is there a different bottle that you recommend? We have Nuk brand.

Thank you!

Default Re: 3 mo suddenly resisting bottle

It's nice to be needed, huh? :smile

How long is your separation, usually? If only, say, a couple of hours once a week, you might get by with waiting and not bothering with expressed milk.

Also, I found the link below to be helpful. You have a lot of other options for feeding baby while you are away. Mine has never had a bottle. I was always too scared we would get the opposite problem and she would refuse me.

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ative-feeding/

Good luck!

Default Re: 3 mo suddenly resisting bottle

Thanks for the link! It was helpful -- maybe I should just wait a few weeks and go right to a cup.