Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Want to breastfeed my LO after already stopped 4mths ago

Default Want to breastfeed my LO after already stopped 4mths ago

Hello ladies,

My LO is 19 months old. I stopped breastfeeding when she was 14 months old, but still producing a little bit of milk.

My daughter has been having a bad night cough for a long time, and I am thinking of feeding her with some of the breast milk because I thought it might still have some kind of antibodies in it. I hand expressed some milk out, but they are really yellow, I just wondering if my breast milk is still good to feed my daughter?

Thank you!

Default Re: Want to breastfeed my LO after already stopped 4mths ago

Welcome to the forum!

The milk you expressed is called involution milk. It's the milk produced at the end of lactation, as milk production slows to a halt. Involution milk is closer in composition to colostrum (the first milk produced by the breast) than to mature milk (the milk produced when a child is nursing frequently and production is high). Involution milk, like colostrum, has a much higher content of immunological support factors than mature milk. So it's actually the perfect thing to give to a sick kid!

The only problem with involution milk is that it can be a bit salty. So you may need to mix it with something else in order to get your child to drink it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Want to breastfeed my LO after already stopped 4mths ago

Hi, Thank you so much for your reply, this is very helpful! I've given her some breast milk with her normal full fat cow's milk, it was only a tiny little bit tho. Not sure if that's enough... and you are right, it is salty!