Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 mo old...back to the breast help!

Default 4 mo old...back to the breast help!

hi there! i am currently trying to get my 4 mo old baby girl back to the breast after four weeks of trying to breast feed when she was born I gave up bc of latching issues. lately i have had this overwhelming need to nurse. i have been pumping ever since she was born and feeding her breast milk from the bottle so my milk supply matches what she needs. my question is i know that she can latch, ive been trying for the last 4 days and have had several "small victories" but I can only get her on the breast when she is extremely sleepy...i have NO luck when she is hungry. She screams, arches her back, and pushes away. How can I help her to focus and relax!?she starts fussing as soon as I try to get her into the nursing position. I would appreciate any advice and words of encouragement!

Default Re: 4 mo old...back to the breast help!

I know Kellymom.com has some good articles on the subject but I can't link . If it were me I would try latching before she gets too hungry so she isn't too frustrated. I would also express some milk into their mouth directly from the breast.
    Mommy to
    Ava 9.24.08 self weaned at 2.5
    August 8.19.11 still nursing, trying to wean gently
    Abram 9.12.13

This is the link that Mtaa referred to: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/. Definitely try the skin- to-skin and instant reward techniques mentioned in the link.

If baby is willing to latch when sleepy, I would take her into bed with you at night. Even if you're not into co-sleeping. Just think of this as a temporary thing. If baby will nurse at night, she'll be more likely to nurse during the day.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks for the kellymom link...i love her site...i was looking around there before and didnt see that particular page thank you so much!!