Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Moving from bottle to cup

Default Moving from bottle to cup

New here. I'm looking for advice on how to switch my son from drinking breastmilk from a bottle to a cup. He gets a bottle a few times/week when I'm at work and it is often used to help get him to sleep during those few times. Any ideas?
    Also, if there is already a post on this please let me know. I looked but am new to the forum and couldn't find one.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Moving from bottle to cup

Welcome to the forum!

How old is your baby? Is he around 1-2 years old, or is he in the 2-4 age range? If he's under 2, I personally wouldn't try to make him drink from a cup, particularly because he's only relying on the bottle a few times a week. Right?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Are you worried about cavities?

I'm trying this now too because I do worry about cavities. So far he's pretty fickle - some days he likes the straw cup, others the sippy with a more nipple-like sipper. In my DS' case, he uses 2-3 times 5 days per week so I feel being on a cup is a good goal by 15 months if we can do it (he's 13 months today).

My LO is 19 months. We just offered various types of cups (sippy, straw, regular cup) and eventually she took to it. If you're worried about milk going to waste, you can either use water in the cup until baby is more reliable about drinking from the cup, or just put a small amount of milk in (also okay to reuse the milk if baby is more in the mood later, or transfer to a bottle). I think it's also dependent on what your LO's caregiver is interested in doing while you are at work. My LO's caregiver was motivated to work on getting rid of the bottle starting at age one, so fairly quickly she was done with bottles - definitely by 15 months. Remember that things can change quickly - it may seem like you are making no progress for weeks, then boom! from one day to the next, baby is happily drinking from a cup. And if you want to take a more laid-back approach that's okay too. Does baby go down for a nap with the bottle? I think cavities are more of an issue then, if the milk is pooling in baby's mouth.

All babies are different and I think it is entirely possible your baby will 'master' a sippy soon.

But my 15 month old still gets water all over herself when she drinks from her sippy. On the other hand, since she only gets water in the cup, we have not really tried very hard to find something that works better for her.

We have done best with an open cup that we 'help' her hold. But I still put a tiny amount in there and it still usually spills. If that was my hard earned expressed breastmilk going to waste, personally I would probably stick with a bottle for a while longer.

If I have it right, bottle rot typically occurs when a baby sleeps with the bottle in her mouth, so that the milk (human or cow or formula or whatever, they all contain sugar, although breastmilk is probably the least harmful, none should be left in a bottle in baby's mouth when she is asleep) pools around the teeth-basically, the bottle in the mouth during sleep bathes the teeth in sugar for long exposures.
    Can you discuss your concern with your caregiver? If this is the only way your baby will fall asleep at day care, or the way she falls asleep without crying at daycare, maybe your caregiver would be willing to gently wipe her mouth out after she falls asleep, or perhaps, switch to water for the very last bit of the bottle, or trying a pacifier instead?

I would also suggest getting into a regular 'brushing' routine, at least once a day, and make sure your child sees a dentist regularly.