Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Needs at 12 Months

Default Milk Needs at 12 Months

So it looks like I am going to make it past the year mark. Yay! I am wondering how to handle this next phase. Right now I am pumping 3x's a day at work so I can send 15 ozs to daycare daily. I am hoping to decrease to 2 sessions, but I know this will decrease the milk volume he will get during the day. I don't plan on immediately moving to cow's milk and would still like to give breastmilk, but I don't want to be chained to this pump like I have been this past year. What amount is adequate after the 12 month mark? I know he needs to be eating more food and drinking less milk, but I am unsure about the quantities.

Default Re: Milk Needs at 12 Months

Hey there! Congrats on making it this far and nice to hear you're still going strong. From one pumping mom to another: There isn't quite a set amount. How does your LO take solids now? I have a LO who is an avid eater of pretty much all table foods now, he eats all meals with us at the table and doesn't need much mashed stuff, and drinks breastmilk in addition to water occasionally. I think it is about how much your LO will eat when you offer it. I found my LO jumped from 1/4 cup of various foods to about 1 cup per meal!
    I was pumping 4 times per day to make 12 oz, then went down to three and still got 12, then now I'm at 2 times per day, about 3.5 hours apart and make anywhere from 8-10 oz. He is happy eating three meals per day plus a snack (yes this guy seems to be a bottomless pit) and so now he gets 2 bottles plus a small sippy cup of milk. I would say even though most people can pump wean slowly, you can be the judge of how quickly you want to do that. I am going very slowly since I really don't mind still pumping twice and since I've had major plugged ducts and can have a strong decrease in my supply at the slightest change. However you sound like a good producer so I definitely think you could drop a pump session. You can give have your caregiver offer him water, or make smoothies if he can have some whole milk yogurt and frozen fruit, perhaps. There is no need to introduce straight cows milk if he is still nursing and drinking expressed milk 3-5 times per day. Once you drop below that, giving some type of dairy such as cow or goat is a good idea. We still haven't given him any cows milk to drink but my LO loves his cheese and yogurt. I know my guy is unusual for eating so much solids at this point but I assume the picky stage is coming My personal breast feeding goal is to allow him to self wean (but I will still proactively offer the breast until at least 2.5). I hope by then to be done pumping for sure!

This is great insight. Thank you. Is there an ounce goal I should be aiming for? DS does well with solids, but he sure does love his bottles. If I cut down a pumping session, I am likely to bring home 10 oz for daycare and then he will come to the breast maybe three to four times directly between waking, bedtime and night nursing. Is this enough?

The rule of thumb is 3-5 nursing sessions is enough after a year. So if you are doing 3-4 nursing sessions AND 10 oz of expressed milk you are more than meeting baby's dairy requirement! The way I think about it, after a year you can be more relaxed about the whole thing and stop worrying about each oz - because unlike in early infancy, when you are responsible for 100% of baby's nutrition, and in late infancy when you are still responsible for the great majority of it, after a year baby's diet becomes more varied as he eats more solids, and breastmilk becomes part of the "dairy" component of the diet. Still a great source of nutrition, of course, but even if you are just thinking about dairy, you have so many more options - yogurt, cheese, and, if you want, animal's milk. It is definitely a psychological shift not to worry over every ounce, but it makes breastfeeding much more enjoyable, in my opinion! The rewards of breastfeeding past age one - congrats on making it to a year!