Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newborn poop puzzle

Default Newborn poop puzzle

DS was born last Tuesday night, almost midnight, so he's 6 days old. Term, healthy, uncomplicated birth. He's been nursing well ever since (well, a lot anyway - I am recovering from cracked nipples and his latch is getting better).

He had like 5 meconium poops on Weds in the hospital, including 2 that were GIANT. I can't remember if he pooped in the hospital Thursday morning, but he did not poop again until Sunday morning. This is highly unusual - he should have been having a few poops a day. I know he was getting colostrum/milk because I had my IBCLC do a weigh-feed-weigh on Saturday and he transferred 10 grams (which is a LOT for colostrum) and he's consistently having 10+ wets per day. And we were concerned enough that I syringe fed 5-10 ml of pumped milk/colostrum a couple of times. He's happy & content.

By Sunday we were all worried enough that I called the doc, though. The nurse clearly knew nothing ('it's normal for breastfed babies to go several days!' - yeah, not at 4 days old ...), and the doc (family practice, not pedi) was stumped. He said to give it another day as long as DS seemed happy. Got off the phone, put on his first cloth diaper, and voila - giant transitional poop 15 minutes later. (Why didn't I remember the magic of the cloth diaper to produce poop? ) DH's theory is he got all cleaned out from the giant poops in the hospital and had to refill.

Anyway, now it's 24 hours later and no more poops. Still nursing well, still wetting a lot, still happy.

So, has anyone ever had this happen? Advice?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Default Re: Newborn poop puzzle

Hmm, that is a puzzle.

I think the good news is that he passed most of his meconium within 48 hours or so, he's feeding, he's not vomiting (right?), and he has continued to poop (albeit infrequently). He's basically a happy, healthy newborn who is just slow to poop.

Ordinarily I'd be with your family doc about taking a wait and see approach. But I'm thinking it might be a good idea to call a pediatrician and try to get in for an appointment. More than likely, this is nothing- he's just taking his time getting going on the poop front. But he's so young... I think it would make sense to get a second opinion from someone who is really familiar with the intricacies of newborn stools.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

there are no pediatricians here ... that would mean a trip to the big city an hour away. which of course we could do if necessary but is a big pain.

correct, no vomiting, just tiny spitups (not every nursing but ds1 only spit up like 5 times ever so it's new to me).
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Hey congratulations! Welcome baby! I am so happy for you!

You may just have an infrequent pooper here. It definitely happens and can be normal and fine. The way I understand it, until the correlation between adequate weight gain and poop frequency was recognized, basically everyone went by wets, not poops, as the indicator all was well. Even in the newborn stage. At any LLL gathering where some of the Leaders had their babies 20 years ago or so, you will here the stories ‘one of mine did not poop for days and he/she was fine.’ Actually you hear the same from more recent moms too, it's just that the older moms think their experience was typical and the younger moms assume their baby was unusual.

Why do we worry if a baby is not pooping within the 'guidelines?' Here is how I look at it. Poop itself is not the point. (Not when you know baby CAN poop, which you do.) The poop guidelines are more there to reassure a mom who thinks her baby may not be 'getting enough' in between weight checks or to offer some more evidence of intake when weight gain is in question. The other concern I can think of (aside baby ‘getting enough’) is jaundice, as poop clears out the bilirubin.

So, maybe, if you continue to be concerned, you can you have baby weighed again in a bit? And also, know the signs of jaundice.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; November 4th, 2013 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    there are no pediatricians here ... that would mean a trip to the big city an hour away. which of course we could do if necessary but is a big pain.
    Can you call the big city peds? I would think they could give you a more definitive "yes, baby needs to be seen" or "no, you can wait and see" based on your description.

I agree with LLLMeg that poop output isn't an absolutely vital indicator of milk intake. But infrequent pooping in a newborn can be cause for concern outside of milk intake. That's why I'd want to speak to the pediatrician.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Calling is a good idea. I don't even have any idea how to do that but I know the family practice docs in town have relationships because they transfer care when necessary. We have our 1 week appointment tomorrow so I'll see about this. I'm not concerned about jaundice or weight gain or intake. Actually if anything I'm guessing weight will be artificially high if he's storing poop. I guess the concern is if there is something very unusual wrong, like a hernia in the digestive tract that's putting the poop in his abdominal cavity. That seems far-fetched as I write it out; he looks & acts happy & healthy.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

update: poopsplosion #2, directly followed by first bath/shower.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Hooray for poop! (Only here could that be completely non-ironic.)

still kind of a mystery why he has this pattern. i'll see what the doc says tomorrow.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

and another poop today on the way out the door to the doc. seems like everything is normal now. doc was TOTALLY unconcerned. probably in large part because he's 3 oz over birthweight at 7 days. so - just the exception that proves the rule about early pooping, i guess! i'm glad i know what i'm doing and that i don't have a doc who's unfamiliar with breastfeeding who would have pushed me to give formula or laxative or something.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13