Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! I can't figure out what is going on

Default Re: Help! I can't figure out what is going on

It could be a poor latch, we didn't seem to get off to a great start with latching. He wasn't extending his tongue and was pinching my nipple pretty good in the early weeks. Not enough to make my nipples super sore though. He just never really seems to be satisfied. Before I was just persistently relatching him sometimes for hours to make sure he ate enough. I have gotten so frustrated though I have decided that if he keeps coming off that he must be done. In the last couple days he is pooping and has way less wet diapers than before. Another thing that concerns me is sometimes he chokes randomly, like he is gasping for air. Today he was flat on his back when he choked and then spit up. I have also given up on co sleeping. The only way I can get him to sleep at night is to put him in his stomach in the bassinet and just let him cry himself to sleep. Otherwise I spend hours trying to swaddle, walk around with him, nurse him to sleep, all which have very little success. It's extremely difficult for me to do nothing while he cries but I don't know what else to do. I finally broke down and got a pacifier. I talked to a lactation consultant and she thought that maybe he was getting enough within 5-10 min but still needed to suck. Doesn't explain why he eats, goes to sleep, and wakes up 30 min later still hungry. I can't feed him every hour, we both have to sleep sometime.

Default Re: Help! I can't figure out what is going on

Life in the newborn weeks is often very difficult and exhausting. Because you suspect latch issue, and there was latch issue early on, and there seemed to be something up with his tongue, etc, again, all I can do is suggest you see an IBCLC for a one on one consultation IF that is possible. This article describes an appt. with an IBCLC: http://cwgenna.com/lconsult.html

I talked to a lactation consultant and she thought that maybe he was getting enough within 5-10 min but still needed to suck.
    Did you talk to an LC, or did she see you for an appointment? This is possible, of course, especially if you have forceful letdown. It is also possible baby is NOT getting enough in 5 minutes, this is not something that can be ascertained over the phone.

I think pacifier use is totally fine IF it is done judiciously (hunger cues are not being missed due to it's use.) It does worry me a bit if pacifier is used when there is a question of whether baby can latch well or not, but again, as long as the pacifier is used occasionally and briefly that is probably fine.
    Doesn't explain why he eats, goes to sleep, and wakes up 30 min later still hungry.
    THIS is a normal pattern. Babies often nurse to sleep, then wake up shortly for a top off. BUT :
    I can't feed him every hour, we both have to sleep sometime.
    IF baby truly never sleeps a longer stretch here and there, that IS unusual and indicates a possible problem. However, I am much more worried about YOUR sleep than babies. It is most important baby gets enough to EAT. Short sleep stretches are normal for baby and only a baby with something very wrong with him is going to not sleep enough for baby, overall.