Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need a Milk Booster

Default Need a Milk Booster

Last week I had some issues with painful nursing and I had to take some time off from nursing to let myself heal. I have twin, one year old boys. Before our break, we were nursing six to eight times a day, plus on demand as needed. During the break we took a thirty six our latch break, then returned to nursing for three sessions a day. We are now back up to at least six sessions, plus on demand. My issue is that I don't feel like I'm producing as much milk as I was before the break and I'd like to try something to increase my supply.

I have been looking into Fenugreek. I'd love to hear from anyone who has used it and thought that it was beneficial. I've heard that oatmeal can increase supply as well- is there anything to that claim?

I'm also wondering if it would be worth while to wake the babies up in the middle of the night for a nursing session. They have been sleeping through the night and were basically night weaned, so the thought of intentionally waking myself up and them is a bit daunting. Thoughts?
    Last edited by @llli*twinsforthewin; November 2nd, 2013 at 05:07 PM.

Default Re: Need a Milk Booster

Waking up sounds like a great idea, not going more than 3-4 hrs any time sounds good. Frequent milk removal is really the key. I'm nursing twins right now and don't have quite enough in spite of doing everything. I take More Milk Special Blend which has fenugreek and others in it. When you took time off how much were you pumping? Oatmeal helps some women, brewer's yeast, flax seed, brown rice, and green leafy vegetables all may help. There's not a ton of research to support it but who would fund it anyway? That's awesome you made it to a year with your twins! Congrats! Mine are 3 mos old. Also at 12 mos how much are they eating for solids? They can be eating quite a few solids by now so I don't even know how much I'd be worrying about a little dip in supply at this point.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Congratulations on your twins! It's quite the experience, isn't it? I'm constantly blown away by how different it is mothering twins than it was with my first.

I've read that some people who take the Fenugreek capsules notice a difference in supply within twenty four hours of starting their regime. Have you notice a big difference from just the tea?

My brain tells me that yes, nursing them every three hours would be the best way to do it... but my sleepy self if hoping their is a magical solution out there that won't interrupt my REM cycle. But probably, going in and dream feeding would be beneficial.

I only pumped to relieve engorgement while on the break. I don't normally pump and I've never been really successful at it.

They are eating plenty of solids but it's always been a tasting menu. I've still been relying heavily on my milk to meet their nutritional needs. I am planning to go another year with breastfeeding. I'm just worried they will lose interest if they can't get a good amount of milk. I'm sure they will still nurse for comfort, even if it's dry nursing, but my goal is for them to keep getting the nutritional benefits as well.

My daughter loved nursing even when I had very little milk so don't worry about that. More milk special blend is a tincture in either alcohol or glycerine and you take a ml or so a few x day depending upon your weight.

Yes oh my twins are so different than a singleton! I think your supply is going to be fine and will pick up just with your boys nursing more. I'm not sure if the fenugreek helped me bc I started it when I also really upped my pumping so who knows? I still take it because I'm nervous to quit.

Maybe just for a week try nursing if you wake up on your own during the night. I made myself so exhausted setting my alarm every 2 hrs not too long ago and I think it didn't help me because I was too exhausted to make enough. Or even 1 4 hr alarm, just for a week.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.