Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby at same weight for two months

Default Baby at same weight for two months

Just got home from my sons 4mo check up and he was two oz less then he was at 2months!! He is two inches longer but I'm freaked out. At birth he was 8lb9oz... 2 mo he was 12lbs8oz and now 12lbs6oz. He is EBF and I pump at work. He eats 2.5 oz every two hours when I'm gone and seems completely satisfied and when I'm home, he nurses constantly and until he's content. He has adequate output in diapers. Dr wasn't worried...said he only would be worried if at 6 mo he was the same. Should I add more to his feelings when I'm gone? My other son was always at 2oz every two hours and at like 5 mo went to 3. Eeekkkkk I'm freaking out.
    Mom to Raven [3/24/06] & Logan [ 1/10/11 ] [ while working ] and going strong

Default Re: Baby at same weight for two months

Are you sure the weights were correct? Was baby weighed nude one time, dressed another time? Were different scales used? Do you feel like the baby is growing- has he moved out of one set of clothing and into another, or is up he filling out his current size a lot more than he did when you first put him into it?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Same office, same scale, only diaper, still in size 1diaper , no change in clothes (3 mo outfits)
    Mom to Raven [3/24/06] & Logan [ 1/10/11 ] [ while working ] and going strong

Okay, in that case the weights are most likely correct. And the pediatrician's wait and see approach is probably the right one. But if this were my baby, I think I might want to take a somewhat more aggressive approach, and have him weighed again at 5 months rather than 6 months. And if you can boost his intake in any way when you're nursing, I would do it. For example, if baby is sleeping a long stretch at night, I would wake him and feed him. Which I know is sucky advice for a working mom who needs her sleep! I'd also think about boosting the bottles a bit. The rule of thumb for breastfed babies is that they need 1.5 oz of milk per hour of separation from mom. So that would mean a 3 oz bottle every 2 hours, not a 2.5 oz bottle.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"